Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

I'm surprised to still see the "blockman" idents in rotation. I thought they'd been fully phased out in favour of just the colourful ident, but seemingly not. I can't help but wonder much longer this bizarre situation is going to continue for.
[-] The following 4 users Like gav's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Jeff, LargelyALurker, orange

It’s a head scratcher - I still really don’t understand why they did it. A tweaked logo and a singular new ident… why? Did they want to rush at least something out for the anniversary? 

We know there’s a rebrand on its way (if this ident is actually a part of it) so why they wouldn’t just roll it out all at once instead is beyond me. It’s not the end of the world or anything drastically different, nor is it anything that looks bad (I really like where they might be going with this new ident style, would’ve been nice to see more than literally one though?!) - but having the channel in this weird halfway house is a bit odd and it’s not something i’d expect to be seeing from Channel 4.
[-] The following 3 users Like orange's post:
  • DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, LargelyALurker

It is all a bit odd, and very un-Channel 4. They’ve always been very consistent with their branding over the years.

But having two versions of their logo and two sets of idents on the go is strange.

Perhaps they’ve been inspired by the BBC’s recent haphazard and scattergun approach to rebranding.
[-] The following 10 users Like Spencer's post:
  • benzj, DeMarkay, fanoftv, HTVbest, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, Juicy Joe, LargelyALurker, Rexogamer, UTVLifer

The ident isn't that great either but been watching more of C4 recently than I have for a while and only really seen that ident.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, orange

(28-03-2023, 01:39 PM)You orange Wrote:  It’s a head scratcher - I still really don’t understand why they did it. A tweaked logo and a singular new ident… why? Did they want to rush at least something out for the anniversary? 

We know there’s a rebrand on its way (if this ident is actually a part of it) so why they wouldn’t just roll it out all at once instead is beyond me. It’s not the end of the world or anything drastically different, nor is it anything that looks bad (I really like where they might be going with this new ident style, would’ve been nice to see more than literally one though?!) - but having the channel in this weird halfway house is a bit odd and it’s not something i’d expect to be seeing from Chelsea 
There was a decision to get the Channel 4 logo featured more on screen, this will also be part of the rebrand. I would expect they went ahead with this as an interim way of achieving that while they work of developing the new pres.
[-] The following 4 users Like thomalex's post:
  • chrisdafur, DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, Spencer

Funny how things come full circle, when you consider in the mid 2010s both Channel 4 and Channel 5 had logo-less idents, and now both have much more conventional, traditional style graphical idents based around the logos.
[-] The following 4 users Like Spencer's post:
  • benzj, chrisdafur, insert_good_username_here, Kojak

I'm shrugging a bit over the "two logos" argument. Let's not kid ourselves - only weirdos like us would notice the difference between the two. If some struggle to tell the new BBC logo apart from the old one, they won't have the chance with the Channel 4 logos.

And the bright 4 thing also appears on e4 as well

Is one channel and one corporate for some reason

(29-03-2023, 07:33 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm shrugging a bit over the "two logos" argument. Let's not kid ourselves - only weirdos like us would notice the difference between the two. If some struggle to tell the new BBC logo apart from the old one, they won't have the chance with the Channel 4 logos.
You could counter just about any observation on here with that logic though. We’re all well aware that most of the public don’t notice the vast majority of the stuff we discuss on here. I thought that was taken as read.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • orange, VMPhil

(29-03-2023, 07:33 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm shrugging a bit over the "two logos" argument. Let's not kid ourselves - only weirdos like us would notice the difference between the two. If some struggle to tell the new BBC logo apart from the old one, they won't have the chance with the Channel 4 logos.

There wasn’t really much of an argument to begin with - I did say it wasn’t the end of the world or anything drastically different, it’s moreso the actual decision to roll it out when they did that was actually puzzling me. If the differences are that unremarkable then why hurry to roll it out? Would it not make far more sense to just do it all in one go like they have done previously? 

I understand they had a mission to get the Channel 4 logo on screen more, but I don’t get why they had to do it in such urgency that they brought out a bit of interim pres consisting of just one generic ident.
[-] The following 3 users Like orange's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Spencer, VMPhil
Thread Closed