Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

A feature from BBC News about the history and demise of Kerrang TV

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, insert_good_username_here

Interesting the wording from C4 in that article states the channels will "soon be unprofitable" rather than that already being the case. Of course it's better to take action before it's too late but if they currently still are profitable you'd think a sale would be preferred, but suspect there is nobody out there willing to buy now.

For all the talk of "digital first" etc. though it's another example of where the digital aspect of the channels was shuttered first rather than protected with the future in mind as whilst the closure of linear channels has felt somewhat inevitable surely BOX were in a good position to be a bigger player in the digital realm, whether thtough FAST channels or aggregating digital content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(18-02-2024, 03:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Interesting the wording from C4 in that article states the channels will "soon be unprofitable" rather than that already being the case. Of course it's better to take action before it's too late but if they currently still are profitable you'd think a sale would be preferred, but suspect there is nobody out there willing to buy now.
I suspect part of the issue is that for some of the channels they're paying a fee to use the brand names for the channels.

It could be that the cost of renewing those licences is not worth it, especially if Channel 4 weren't able to pay to use the names for just one or two years. There's also the presumably separate cost to artists/labels for playing their music. It may be that they pay a fixed fee regardless of how many music channels they have. In which case the cost is easier to justify if spread across multiple channels, rather than just one or two.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I could never quite work out which way that should fee - did BOX get more out of using the Kiss/Kerrang/Magic brands or do the Bauer brands benefit from being associated with a TV channel? I guess the renewal is the first time that would have been tested as the previous deal would have been part of the negotiations for C4 buying Bauer out, so not necessarily a payment going in either direction.

Have to wonder too about the future of the music video as well - pushing music out via socials seems less about the video nowadays.

(18-02-2024, 05:40 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I could never quite work out which way that should fee - did BOX get more out of using the Kiss/Kerrang/Magic brands or do the Bauer brands benefit from being associated with a TV channel?

I would suggest it is the former. The music channels are less known than the radio stations, perhaps with the exception of Kerrang which has basically been all but killed off as a radio station (but in any case both are less known than the longrunning magazine).

That's not to say there was never synergic benefits in both directions, but even those deplete with the severe reduction in audience.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

So let’s say C4 do decide to pull the plug, will they then need permission from Bauer to do so with the branded channels (except 4Music) and seeing as Red Bee control the running and output of them they’d have to be involved too.

(05-03-2024, 03:09 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  So let’s say C4 do decide to pull the plug, will they then need permission from Bauer to do so with the branded channels (except 4Music) and seeing as Red Bee control the running and output of them they’d have to be involved too.
They won't need Bauer's permission, but they will likely have to pay Bauer to the end of whatever licensing agreement was committed to (if any remains). The same goes for Red Bee.

Quite possibly the two contracts were deliberately aligned, or one is already in a run off pending the other running out.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Yes, it's almost certain the decision to pull the plug is related to the Bauer deal expiring, which people seemed to be aware was imminent even prior to this announcement. I guess Bauer could see if they could strike a deal with another provider to continue their TV channels, but that's unlikely in the current market.