MTV Original UK studios

Does anyone know where the original UK MTV studios were based when it first broadcast in August 1987. These two websites claim MTV brought TVAM studios in 1988..

web.archive.org 

www.locallocalhistory.co.uk 

Did MTV stay in Amsterdam until March 1993?  Was there UK based studio before 1993?

The TV-am studios at Camden Lock were sold to MTV Europe in 1993 after they went off air. They'd been built for TV-am and were owned throughout the life of TV-am AFAIK.

This document (see PDF page 36, printed page 28)
www.ofcom.org.uk 

Suggests an address of Mandela Street. London for MTV Europe in 1987. That was probably just an office, as MTV wasn't regionalised until well into the 90s, and IIRC it was just one pan feed for the whole of Europe up until that point. I dare say buying the Camden Lock complex helped facilitate that (and consolidate all the other offerings as well into one building).

So if MTV Europe had another complex in Camden Town, it wasn't at Hawley Crescent.

Could MTV have, between 1987-1992, been renting out a studio at various times from TV-am? Not just London, but perhaps one of the inject studios TV-am had, such as Newcastle or Glasgow?

(27-08-2022, 08:01 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The TV-am studios at Camden Lock were sold to MTV Europe in 1993 after they went off air. They'd been built for TV-am and were owned throughout the life of TV-am AFAIK.

This document (see PDF page 36, printed page 28)
www.ofcom.org.uk 

Suggests an address of Mandela Street. London for MTV Europe in 1987. That was probably just an office, as MTV wasn't regionalised until well into the 90s, and IIRC it was just one pan feed for the whole of Europe up until that point. I dare say buying the Camden Lock complex helped facilitate that (and consolidate all the other offerings as well into one building).

So if MTV Europe had another complex in Camden Town, it wasn't at Hawley Crescent.

Thank you for this. Of course Mandela street is within Camden, so that is where the cross wires has happened.

Thread moved to the Industry News, Technology and Facilities forum.

The definitive site is Martin Kemptons. TV studio history
This is the eggcup house/MTV page
www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • Kojak

I can't remember where I saw it, I think it was a Facebook group, but there were some videos filmed by one of the studio crew of MTV Europe. It was taken in about 1991/2 and showed the studio, gallery, reception area etc. One of them showed the arrival of Meatloaf at the studios and in the background was the eastern end of the TVam buildings.

I think their studio was in Hawley Crescent but on the other side of the road, possibly next to the Devonshire Arms pub. Until a few years ago number 13 was home to Ascent Media and others before then, so I assume the building (now demolished) had been around for a while as a TV facility

(30-08-2022, 01:38 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I can't remember where I saw it, I think it was a Facebook group, but there were some videos filmed by one of the studio crew of MTV Europe. It was taken in about 1991/2 and showed the studio,  gallery, reception area etc. One of them showed the arrival of Meatloaf at the studios and in the background was the eastern end of the TVam buildings.

I think their studio was in Hawley Crescent but on the other side of the road, possibly next to the Devonshire Arms pub. Until a few years ago number 13 was home to Ascent Media and others before then, so I assume the building (now demolished) had been around for a while as a TV facility
 Was it in the Elephant House - see later on the page i linked to
Elephant House.  The latter now houses Channel 5 Productions and has been renamed Elephant House Studios.  In the autumn of 2016 a small studio was created here for Channel 5’s long-running kids’ show [i]Milkshake.
[/i]

(30-08-2022, 01:54 PM)Technologist Wrote:   Was it in the Elephant House - see later on the page i linked to
Elephant House.  The latter now houses Channel 5 Productions and has been renamed Elephant House Studios.  In the autumn of 2016 a small studio was created here for Channel 5’s long-running kids’ show [i]Milkshake.[/i]
No, as the page says The Elephant House is adjacent to the TVam/MTV now Paramount building. In the video it was one of the buildings visible from the front of the old MTV... it was across the road from the Elephant House

EDIT. now I'm on my laptop I've been able to search for the video and a picture of the building on streetview

Here's the video, notice both the TVam building and the Elephant house behind Meatloaf as he comes in. the description says:
'Mtv europe was coming to the end of its residency at chrysalis-tv in camden, & would move to its new home in the old TVam building six weeks later'
vimeo.com 

Here's anther video by the same person, this time Take That arrive. Notice the Chrysalis TV logo on the door and TVam in the background:
vimeo.com 

and this is the building at number 13 in 2009 waiting to be demolished
goo.gl 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Mort

You mean the tv-am building is no more?