MTV Original UK studios

(30-08-2022, 05:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  You mean the tv-am building is no more?
No it was remodelled by Viacom, the section facing the road including the studios was demolished and rebuilt replacing the original art deco frontage. They left the TVam courtyard area but then built over that when they needed more space a few years later. The back of the building facing the canal, including the eggcups survives

On that streetview link from 2009 you can see the original TVam building before it was remodelled, and the old Chrysalis (later Todd-Ao) building at 13 Hawley Crescent where MTV used to be boarded up ready for demolition. If you're on a desktop scroll the timeline into the future and you'll see the replacement for number 13 appear in 2012 and the part demolition of TVam, then the completed building in 2014.... Then the extension in 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • harshy

It comes up on occasion that the TV-am building is listed (or something is listed about it) but as that was a relatively new building that only dates from the 1980s so it's not quite old enough I would have thought to qualify for a listing at least, and of course it wasn't the first TV studio in London so it isn't unique enough in that regard.

Listed buildings to be either ridiculously old, cultural and/or noteworthy, and its why you see a lot of castles, churches, libraries (more so Carnegie libraries), older pubs on the list and quite a few things on the English Heritage/National Trust sites.

I dare say if Viacom wanted to they could just knock the whole complex down with a bulldozer and nobody would mind.

I guess you can understand MTV buying the TV-am studios considering they were literally across the road from where they were before. I imagine they wanted their own studios rather than just renting space in a facilities house.

Those videos do remind you how MTV was a worthwhile channel at one time, with lots of decent music related programming, not just reality trash as it is now. There's nothing like that sort of programme with Meat Loaf, Mark and Robbie on any of their channels any more, and hasn't been for probably the best part of 20 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

And of course it had the knock on effect of being able to consolidate their playout facilities, because IIRC not only does MTV UK come from there but most if not all of the Viacom/Paramount channels do too (Channel 5 maybe?), and maybe (prior to Brexit) a couple of European variations too.

It probably outputs more content now in a month than TV-am did in the whole of its 10 years.

But yes of course MTV has changed, can't really see how it justifies having the M in its channel name to be honest, once the likes of Cribs came along - though that seems to have been on the air since 2000 so...

(01-09-2022, 10:43 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  It comes up on occasion that the TV-am building is listed (or something is listed about it) but as that was a relatively new building that only dates from the 1980s so it's not quite old enough I would have thought to qualify for a listing at least, and of course it wasn't the first TV studio in London so it isn't unique enough in that regard.

Listed buildings to be either ridiculously old, cultural and/or noteworthy, and its why you see a lot of castles, churches, libraries (more so Carnegie libraries), older pubs on the list and quite a few things on the English Heritage/National Trust sites.

I dare say if Viacom wanted to they could just knock the whole complex down with a bulldozer and nobody would mind.
The age of most of the building is a lot older than the 1980s. It was a converted garage, Henlys, in fact the BT circuits to and from it were HOG - Henlys Old Garage. 

The age of the building is irrelevant to its listing, there are some from the 80s and 90s
historicengland.org.uk 

TVam wasn't listed but it was/is architecturally interesting as an example of 1980s postmodern architecture. It's nothing to do with its age or what it was used for. The alterations were quite controversial in architectural circles. 
www.architectsjournal.co.uk 

Personally I prefer what's there now, and the eggcups have been kept, I think they come under a conservation area

(01-09-2022, 03:01 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  And of course it had the knock on effect of being able to consolidate their playout facilities, because IIRC not only does MTV UK come from there but most if not all of the Viacom/Paramount channels do too (Channel 5 maybe?), and maybe (prior to Brexit) a couple of European variations too.

It probably outputs more content now in a month than TV-am did in the whole of its 10 years.
Channel 5 and the other channels come from Red Bee, but the channel's HQ is there and its where Milkshake is recorded etc. 

Yes after MTV Europe moved in it split up into many different local channels and spins offs like VH1. It's only fairly recently that it started to be home to non MTV channels because of the various corporate restructuring. 

The building was damaged by fire in 1999. IIRC their library had quite a lot of smoke damage 
news.bbc.co.uk