The Lack of creative UK idents

Yesterday on twitter, someone posted a clip from one of the idents used by France 3, which used CGI Marmots, It did rather well pulling in a few million votes, and got a lot of positive replies from non TV geeks.   This surely proves the public will take note when something creative is used on screen?    The ident in question is around 2 years old at least while the concept of Marmots have been around for the past 7 years.     Is there a creative drain in the UK compared to many other countries in the world?

Clip in Question: 
twitter.com 

Admin edit: thread moved to TV Presentation forum.

Idents go in stages, phases and patterns on a carousel.

The ITV Creates series (and the current BBC One to a degree) is sort of a hybrid between what they had before (some "real" idents) and what went before. It will probably only be a matter of time before we go back even further to some totally CGI created concoction

Of course we all know in this country presentation and idents peaked in 1999, and everything that followed since is sort of, meh. Whether we'll get back to that peak remains to be seen.

To answer the question, not so much a "creative drain", its more what the network wanted. If the network wants to commission drab, depressing and visually lacklustre idents, that's up to them. As the saying goes, can't polish a turd.

So the people in control are bland and anodyne, in their thinking. TV stations need good idents, this was all proven 30 years ago with Alan Yenton. Before 1991 rebrand BBC 2 was "dull and worthy" and after the rebrand it was all exciting and lively. Yet the programmes were the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • Rijowhi

I beg to differ. I think that the current ident packages for the 5 main terrestrial channels are some of the best we've had in the last 20 years. ITV Creates being the prime example of that, but also Channel 5 now having its best on screen identity, bar none. As for the Beeb, they've got a cohesive brand now (notwithstanding the quirks and idiosyncrisies of changing the entire identity of the corporation). The only channel that has weak, but not a bad, identity is Channel 4. 4 Man and the jangly Fourscore are good, and I love the trailer stings, but I do think its time we put the blocks back together.

[Image: blu97.png]

(28-08-2022, 08:34 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Clip in Question: 
twitter.com 
Reminds me a lot of this:
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFTJA's post:
  • fanoftv

Define "creative" because there's being interesting visually and being interesting emotionally. Neil mentions 1999 being the end of good identities, that's not true because many solid identities came out after then and still do.

What exactly constitutes good and creative because those are immensely nebulous and subjective terms, is it general public acknowledgement of an ident? Is it something that changes perception? Maybe it's just shapes flying around in space or physical models, where is the thing that takes something from bland or anodyne to interesting and creative?

(02-09-2022, 06:29 PM)Nini Wrote:  Define "creative" because there's being interesting visually and being interesting emotionally. Neil mentions 1999 being the end of good identities, that's not true because many solid identities came out after then and still do.

I didn't say 1999 was the end of good "identities" at all. What I actually said was presentation and idents peaked in 1999. That's not to say there weren't good ones after that, of course there were. But as the number of channels explodes and there are copious ident packages to go with them, it becomes increasingly hard to separate the wheat from the chaff as it were.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Rijowhi

Yeah I lost interest when regional itv finished and all those wonderful cgi idents with it, there are some creative idents pres packages it’s all out there and more accessible, however what was the vogue 25 or so years ago and what is now has naturally changed, also one’s perception of creative will also differ from person to person as all design is subjective.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Andrew Wood

I wouldn't say they lack creativity, however, they could use more of a risky attitude...