BT TV Internet Mode

(23-11-2022, 08:53 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  I’ve held off swapping to internet mode, mainly because of all the recordings on there that I didn’t want to lose, however I see I.h got around this somehow. I’m also a bit dubious as despite speed tests showing download speeds of 291mbps when recording from sky’s internet channels there appears to be issues making the programme skip and pixelated when watching back.

Yes, too long ago to remember exactly what I did, but I think it was the maintenance mode - support.youview.com 

then I think you get the option to retain recordings (though probably not series links) when doing the reset. This is compared to the one on the main settings menu which would delete everything.

I am not a huge TV watcher but it's seemed reliable enough for me, no need to go back to the aerial. I only have 80Mbit VDSL (though the TV service always gets priority anyway)

Is it an option to change back to aerial mode if it doesn’t work well enough for me/my connection?

I wonder if part of the reason the programmes don’t seem to record correctly is because of the distance from the router, the new wiring and router are at the opposite end of the house so this new box is connected wirelessly where previously we used an ethernet cable. Strangely there is no issue when streaming a channel live.

As the old BT YouView box stream many channels over IP already, I'd like to know what is preventing the roll out of streaming regular broadcast channels over IP (that are available) where local transmitters don't provide a signal to these boxes?

Why does it have to be only on the new boxes? Are the actual streaming protocols different?

And as for those newer boxes, why on earth isn't a fall back made to the aerial signal when one is available?

It all seems like a cods of a job.

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew Wood's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(23-11-2022, 10:24 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  Is it an option to change back to aerial mode if it doesn’t work well enough for me/my connection?

I wonder if part of the reason the programmes don’t seem to record correctly is because of the distance from the router, the new wiring and router are at the opposite end of the house so this new box is connected wirelessly where previously we used an ethernet cable. Strangely there is no issue when streaming a channel live.
You’d have to reset again but yes, the first question will ask you whether you have an aerial and that will put it back into that mode.

Wireless will certainly not help reliability, though I can’t see why recordings would be less reliable than live.

(23-11-2022, 11:14 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  As the old BT YouView box stream many channels over IP already, I'd like to know what is preventing the roll out of streaming regular broadcast channels over IP (that are available) where local transmitters don't provide a signal to these boxes?

Why does it have to be only on the new boxes? Are the actual streaming protocols different?

And as for those newer boxes, why on earth isn't a fall back made to the aerial signal when one is available?

It all seems like a cods of a job.

At a guess, the old boxes are made by a different manufacturer and that means duplicate development costs for a device they no longer manufacture, and in time as stocks deplete would no longer support (anyone with problems would just be given the new box).

Perhaps they also feel that existing customers have already gone through the pain of getting an aerial feed, whereas potential new customers would have been put off until now.

It’s still all multicast IP traffic, so no difference in streaming, though annoyingly ITV insists you sign into the hub before you can watch their channels.

Remember that not all of the channels are identical, eg BBC HD regions are already available whereas not yet on FV, and the more “niche” channels are not carried.

That’s right, there’s no +1 channels, no UKTV channels (which is my biggest bugbear), all of the Channel 4 spin offs are in SD, and forget niche channels such as Talking Pictures TV or PBS America. Also if you want to listen to radio on the TV, there’s only the BBC and it makes you go through BBC Sounds.

I don’t mind it as I still have an aerial connected to my TV, so I flip back to that say if I want to watch Dave. It’s useful to have BBC1 Regional News in HD, which in North West Tonight’s case does broadcast in HD. I’m hopeful more channels will get added in due course.

I believe Sagecom make the current BT TV Pro box and Humax have made the general YouView and older BT TV boxes previously. Whether this has any bearing on the rollout of IPTV services outside of BT, I don’t know.

This is probably the most relevant place to put it, but I see the EPG for the BT TV Preview Channel has been updated to ‘Find Out What’s on EE TV’, but the preview loop itself is still BT TV.

Unsurprisingly, it confirms the platform is being rebranded to EE TV, but still no confirmation as to when.

BT have officially started letting BT Sport subscribers know that they can now get Discovery+ for free, but not yet on BT TV. Which kind of makes a mockery of BT/YouView when an App they are promoting isn’t available on the platform.

Not fully internet mode related but important to BT TV, it seems that the YouView community is closing towards the end of the month. Essentially it reads that YouView as it is will no longer be sold as a product. Whilst BT and to a lesser extent TalkTalk will still be providing support, essentially its retail presence will be gone (not that it was ever big anyway).

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on BT TV in the medium to long term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • interestednovice

(04-06-2023, 09:21 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Not fully internet mode related but important to BT TV, it seems that the YouView community is closing towards the end of the month. Essentially it reads that YouView as it is will no longer be sold as a product. Whilst BT and to a lesser extent TalkTalk will still be providing support, essentially its retail presence will be gone (not that it was ever big anyway).

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on BT TV in the medium to long term.

I've said this elsewhere but I suspect BT TV is on the outs. It's essentially just a vehicle for selling third party streaming services; the rebrand of BT Sport so it won't be a BT branded service any longer just reinforces this.

The days of BT Group trying to be a major player in the content space are done.

Perhaps they'll follow the path EE took and phase it out in favour of a packaged Apple TV box.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • interestednovice

It’s pretty clear that Youview as a platform is on the way out. There is no longer the appetite to invest in it, and it’s annoying that certain Freeview features don’t integrate with it at it is not fully Freeview D Book complaint. Freeview red-button driven IP channels don’t always work with it, for example, and neither does Channel List Management (HD and SD swapping).

Now the remaining options are Freeview Play, as a free option, or something such as Apple TV or Netgem which can be integrated into a Pay TV ecosystem. Clearly, the idea of a custom hardware box with associated custom software is something BT/EE would no longer want to spend time and money on.

It really depends whether BT/EE want to bother keeping up a “quad-play” (landline, internet, pay TV & mobile) option of full packages or not. If they drop TV, then the “risk” to the business is that people interested in pay TV will go with something like Sky Glass or Sky Stream - and this may lead them towards other Sky services, such as Sky mobile or Sky broadband (which, although over Openreach, would be a “loss” of a customer as far as BT Consumer/EE are concerned).

Therefore, as it’s become a re-selling/bundling service already, I would not be surprised if it went to Apple TV bundling as things are already with EE. In this scenario, basically I would imagine that BT would stop selling a TV product. This would be part of the BT=Business push. Plusnet has already dumped TV. Therefore, you would be left with the EE Apple TV product as the last thing standing. BT would then advertise and push this product, while phasing out Youview. Former BT TV customers would be “encouraged” to upgrade to EE TV packages at contract renewal time. Eventually, Youview could be dumped entirely.

I also imagine that EE TV in an Internet Mode could be great as it could bring Freeview channels to Apple TV with no need for an aerial and a number of HD channels at high quality. Clearly, it would be limited to being sold alongside FTTP packages to ensure high performance. However, with Apple already producing high quality hardware and software, this would be an easy way to sell the customer a satisfying TV experience without major investment on BT/EE’s part.