BBC Naidheachdan Gàidhlig

Newyddion S4C ditched the generic BBC News look in favour of a look more linked to the identity of the commercial (i.e. non-BBC) channel on which it is shown. That's no different from ITV News, Channel 4 News, and 5 News being branded in line with their respective channels' style, rather than that of producer ITN.

An Là being shown on an ad-free and overtly BBC-branded (albeit co-owned) channel is essentially the same as e.g. the One/Six/Ten etc being shown on BBC One, and therefore An Là having the generic BBC News look makes logical sense.

Citing the current Newyddion branding situation as an case for An Là to also go "non-BBC" looking is therefore rather like comparing apples to oranges, methinks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Superman1986

BBC An Là is still using a title sequence and studio screen graphics that feature a red "BBC Naidheachdan" square box in the bottom-left.

Given how the 12-letter word Naidheachdan has to be produced at a much smaller font size that the BBC blocks in order to fit into the square, it has never looked good.

If the rumoured "spring" refresh* across BBC News output ever sodding well materialises (i.e. new title sequences other than endlessly hacked-about versions of the Lambie Nairn stripey globes titles), then hopefully An Là will get something in the Chameleon style with the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and Naidheachdan at the bottom in a reasonable font size.

(*As the Summer Solstice is on 21st June, there is now just under 1 month of Spring left to go!)
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(22-05-2023, 09:13 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  BBC An Là is still using a title sequence and studio screen graphics that feature a red "BBC Naidheachdan" square box in the bottom-left.

Given how the 12-letter word Naidheachdan has to be produced at a much smaller font size that the BBC blocks in order to fit into the square, it has never looked good.

If the rumoured "spring" refresh* across BBC News output ever sodding well materialises (i.e. new title sequences other than endlessly hacked-about versions of the Lambie Nairn stripey globes titles), then hopefully An Là will get something in the Chameleon style with the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and Naidheachdan at the bottom in a reasonable font size.

(*As the Summer Solstice is on 21st June, there is now just under 1 month of Spring left to go!)

I am fairly certain that there won't be any change for An Là anytime soon, considering that the titles were changed only in 2020 (technically Seachd Là has been using the same titles since 2018, although An Là followed suit only two years later). That's just my two cents though, judging by how long it took for An Là to get fully Reith'd.
[-] The following 3 users Like Henry's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Superman1986