BBC Naidheachdan Gàidhlig

The current titles just scream after effects mock for me
[-] The following 1 user Likes Superman1986's post:
  • Former Member 406

They uploaded a video of the new set being installed onto Twitter - complete with a clean copy of the headlines bed.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Rexogamer, Stuart

That timelapse video really goes to show just how the improvements in display tech are of real benefit to regional studios. One thing I'm looking forward to with the new set rollout will be seeing studios like Southampton and Newcastle in all their glory after 25 years of space-wasting rear-projection screens.

I'm not as bothered by the titles as others seem to be. There might be one or two superfluous effects, but it is one of the BBC's better attempts to replicate a Lambie-Nairn title sequence. I have no idea how they managed to do it, but it is a real testament to the 2008/09 Lambie Nairn team that the BBC in-house teams can't outdo the quality of the original white and red graphics 15 years on.

To be honest, the thing I find most ridiculous is the BBC Naidheachdan box logo - poor design, poor utility. It's not new for these titles, but the An La text aligned to the left of the box logo looks off.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • Former Member 406, Randomuser123, Rexogamer, Stuart, UTVLifer

To be fair, there's no way of making a 12-letter word look good within the constraints of a perfectly square logo.

I'm assuming that when all BBC News programmes get a fuller makeover, the red box will be scrapped in favour of e.g. either stripped logos or "BBC" at the top of the screen and "NEWS" (etc) at the bottom as per Chameleon idents/trailers etc. Which will of course help immensely with long words like Naidheachdan.

Having now seen what the Nations & Regions' versions of the "Studio B" style sets will be like, following the on-air debuts of both the Newsline and East Midlands Today ones...

I think it's rather a shame that the new An Là set launched in September isn't greatly in-line with the standardised look.

Red and white panels above and below, with only the middle-third of the set walls' height being screens (which primarily show graphics/logos etc, not a panorama of the Inverness skyline). The circular desk (possibly a cast-off from elsewhere?) being unlike the "C"-shaped desks or coffee tables that are generally being rolled-out. No vertical monolith screen anywhere.

I guess it's a sympton of the poxy sized studio that they have. Which gives me little hope that BBC Channel Islands will get a particularly "Studio B" style set either, as the St Helier studio is also a very poxy one.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer

(18-01-2023, 09:23 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  Having now seen what the Nations & Regions' versions of the "Studio B" style sets will be like, following the on-air debuts of both the Newsline and East Midlands Today ones...

I think it's rather a shame that the new An Là set launched in September isn't greatly in-line with the standardised look.

Red and white panels above and below, with only the middle-third of the set walls' height being screens (which primarily show graphics/logos etc, not a panorama of the Inverness skyline). The circular desk (possibly a cast-off from elsewhere?) being unlike the "C"-shaped desks or coffee tables that are generally being rolled-out. No vertical monolith screen anywhere.

I guess it's a sympton of the poxy sized studio that they have. Which gives me little hope that BBC Channel Islands will get a particularly "Studio B" style set either, as the St Helier studio is also a very poxy one.
I can’t see a monolith in the St Helier studio

(18-01-2023, 09:23 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I guess it's a sympton of the poxy sized studio that they have. Which gives me little hope that BBC Channel Islands will get a particularly "Studio B" style set either, as the St Helier studio is also a very poxy one.
The CI sub-opt comes from a 'cupboard under the stairs' at BBC Radio Jersey.  There is never any standing presentation, as they'd bang their heads on the ceiling.  A proper regional 'minilith' would be wasted, although they could actually use someone's mobile phone in front of one of the cameras to make it look as if they had one. Tongue

They could develop some kind of NBH-B style set on the two walls which are visible, but the screens would be rather wasted in an environment with only 2 fixed camera shots.  Frankly, I wonder what extraordinary efforts it took to get that two-part sofa into the cupboard.

[Image: BBC-CI-18-01-23.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, Former Member 406, LDN, Superman1986

(19-01-2023, 01:45 AM)Stuart Wrote:  A proper regional 'minilith' would be wasted, although they could actually use someone's mobile phone in front of one of the cameras to make it look as if they had one. Tongue

Violently snorted mid-sip and very nearly drowned in my cup of tea while laughing at that.  Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Stuart, UTVLifer

(18-01-2023, 09:23 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I think it's rather a shame that the new An Là set launched in September isn't greatly in-line with the standardised look.
I wouldn’t be surprised if An Là’s current set lasts another 5-10 years with no changes - or however long it is until they stop making the programme. I hate the set, but there isn’t a huge amount that can be done in that small space.

I’m nearly sure there’s an agreement in place that means they can’t move An Là to Glasgow which is a shame, it’d be nice to see them finally get a better space. The Studio used for The Nine would work really well, they could go the same way Newyddion went in 2013 and ditch the generic BBC News style which would create a visually decent looking news service for Gaelic speakers.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(19-01-2023, 05:18 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(18-01-2023, 09:23 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I think it's rather a shame that the new An Là set launched in September isn't greatly in-line with the standardised look.
I wouldn’t be surprised if An Là’s current set lasts another 5-10 years with no changes - or however long it is until they stop making the programme. I hate the set, but there isn’t a huge amount that can be done in that small space.

I’m nearly sure there’s an agreement in place that means they can’t move An Là to Glasgow which is a shame, it’d be nice to see them finally get a better space. The Studio used for The Nine would work really well, they could go the same way Newyddion went in 2013 and ditch the generic BBC News style which would create a visually decent looking news service for Gaelic speakers.
We have to remember that it's jointly owned by the BBC and MG Alba.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406