25 years since the death of Diana, Princess of Wales

My detailed memories are relatively light, although the feelings from it have always been quite strong.

I was only 10 at the time. I used to wake up quite early on Sundays to watch TV downstairs while my parents were asleep. I remember getting up to watch my usual programmes - although I can't remember exactly what would've been on at that time... It may have been The Munsters and some others? The Herbs? The Waltons? I'm not sure. I tried looking for TV listings archives online with the info but didn't have any luck.
Of course, all that was on every channel was the announcement of her passing. I distinctively remember watching the BBC coverage of it in particular. I guess it's one of those things, especially at that age, that automatically gets burnt into your mind and stays with you forever. I remember being shocked and saddened by it. I remember telling my mum that morning about the news and her being upset.
We were going to some kind of event later that day. The correct word for it isn't coming to mind right now, but it was kind of like a fair, with stalls selling things, some little rides, plus some helicopter rides and such. We still went, but I remember the atmosphere feeling very strange as people were in shock. A strange time indeed.

Of course, with it being 25 years later and with the passing of the Queen last week too, which I've been following coverage of, Diana's passing and the coverage from the time has been on my mind. Thanks to everyone who's posted videos and info in the thread. It's been interesting to learn more about the coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MorganLamia's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Circling back to ITV, how did the regions start the day, after GMTV reported the news? I recall a junction from Westcountry TV on TVArk, which had a specific programme menu detailing the changes and tribute shows (there's one on Youtube, but it's a potato recording and possibly snatched from there, so I won't include it). Did other regions do similar things (custom graphics, solemn idents et al), or was there a network feed available?

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(18-09-2022, 07:35 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  Circling back to ITV, how did the regions start the day, after GMTV reported the news? I recall a junction from Westcountry TV on TVArk, which had a specific programme menu detailing the changes and tribute shows (there's one on Youtube, but it's a potato recording and possibly snatched from there, so I won't include it). Did other regions do similar things (custom graphics, solemn idents et al), or was there a network feed available?

From memory as soon as GMTV finished they went straight back to ITN at 9.25:00 

I’m not sure what time coverage ended that morning but I believe there was a junction at lunchtime. From memory Granada didn’t have any amended presentation but LWT did send out amended programme menus to the network live. I’m sure Trish Bertram mentions her duties that day well on Rob’s podcast, if you’ve not listened to it.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • DavidV, Roger Darthwell, W. Knight

Thought I'd repost my contribution to the old blue place on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Diana's passing...

Quote:It's so hard to believe it's been twenty years since the death of Diana. I was 23 at the time. I'm now 43.

Before I go on, I'm an out and out Royalist. They have many faults but I'd rather have a Queen Elizabeth or a King Charles or King William than a President Blair, Brown, Thatcher, Major, Cameron or May.

The death of Diana was shocking. I remember my girlfriend of the time waking me up to tell me that she had died. I said that was awful. Poor Princes Wills and Harry. Losing their Mum at such a young age. Terrible. Truly horrible for them.

It wasn't that which got me up at five in the morning. My lass of the time didn't know I was a pres freak but when she said that BBC 1 was simulcasting something called BBC World, I was up like a shot.

Then, from memory, all the BBC TV channels merged and were broadcast around the world. On the hour, the BBC corporate logo appeared on screen with the announcement that "This is BBC Television from London. Normal programming has been suspended." The screen would fade to black, then Martin Lewis appeared with the news, another fade to black and then the national anthem.

It wasn't obvious straight away but our country changed in the next few days. We emoted like I've never seen, schedules were broken into more than the Gulf War Episode 1, and there was a real feeling that we could become a Republic on certain days.

I wanted to start this thread for two reasons.

First, for those of us old enough to remember, to reflect on the presentation and scheduling at the time. Also, to try to find video of the day to look back upon.

Second, for younger members of the forum, so they can see how the country and the media change when a significant member of our Royal Family dies.

Yes, this is a presentation thread about someone's death. No disrespect is intended. However, in my 43 years on the planet, this was bigger than any other media or news event before or since.
After the Queen's sad passing, our younger friends have seen how the country willingly convulses itself over the death of a Royal. I know I was a bit gutted but couldn't quite explain why.

Pres-wise, I preferred Diana because I thought BBC news pres was better at the time. We didn't have the new Powerpoint logo or font that someone purchased on Fiverrr to deal with. Interesting how they didn't use BBC Reith on the idents though - perhaps some realised what guff is actually is.

Putting that aside though, I thought the BBC coverage was brilliant. Highlights for me would either be Kirsty Young's beautiful monologue at the end of the State Funeral coverage or the Accession Committee two days after Her Majesty died.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II and thank you for everything. God Save The King!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alan de Robson's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(03-09-2022, 07:01 PM)dvboy Wrote:  I remember seeing a screenshot somewhere of the TUC coverage on BBC2 with a strap inviting people to switch over to BBC1. I would assume they continued with that until CBBC, moved over from BBC1.

It's not been mentioned but I remember Channel 5 took Sky News rolling coverage on 7 July 2005.

This was the banner that the BBC used but on this occasion it was switch to BBC2 for a news report.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yorksman's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

www.youtube.com 

Some rare footage from the start of BBC World from the early hours of Sunday/Monday following Diana's death.
[-] The following 2 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, TVHead

Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but I found this bit pretty interesting:

How do you explain Diana's funeral to kids? NBN in Newcastle (the other one): You don't, and you put them to sleep as usual.
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 2 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Roger Darthwell