Bill Turnbull

(01-09-2022, 09:08 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  On these occasions there is inevitably somebody on Twitter who fails to read the room and feel that they have to share their story of the person who is the subject of all the tributes saying or doing something while having an off day.

I'm delighted that everything I've read about Bill reinforces the view of him as a top bloke on and off screen.

I noticed that - and from such a wide range of people too

Was watching BBC News Channel this morning on BBC Two, and it was sad to see Bill's Strictly dance partner Karen Hardy struggling to hold back tears remembering him. Nothing I have seen about him on TV or online has been negative, which proves how much of a beloved figure he was by his peers, and justifies my respect for him as a presenter. I do still miss him presenting on Breakfast, despite him not doing that job for some years.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, DE88, Newsroom

Thought today's Breakfast dedicated to him was nice from the bits I saw.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Keith's post:
  • AJB39, bilky asko, bkman1990, CF1, DE88

Sad news about Bill

Regarding a time line of his regular TV wives, I'm thinking it was initially Bill and Sian at weekends, then various others Mishal Hussain, Kate Silverton etc before a fairly long run alongside Susanna Reid

He then moved to weekdays in 2008 reunited with Sian and then later Susanna again and then finally Louise

Naga and no doubt the likes of Sally, Steph etc presumably towards the end before he left the programme

As I was something of a geek back in 2000-2002, I kept a record of who presented what when on various BBC News programmes, News 24 etc. Amazingly, I've still got the file buried on an old HDD so I've just had a look to see who Bill presented with during Breakfast's early days.

As far as I can tell, his first ever edition was on Friday 27th April 2001 alongside Sian Williams who had already been presenting Breakfast occasionally. It seems Bill was confined to occasional Fridays and weekends in those days with some occasional Monday-Thursday cover opportunities.

In addition to Sian Williams, his other co-presenters on Breakfast (including weekends) from that period include Sophie Raworth, Martine Dennis, Maxine Mawhinney, Jane Hill, Julie Etchingham, Tanya Beckett, Louise Minchin and Kate Sanderson (later Kate Gerbeau). After mid-2002, I stopped noting this stuff down as real life took over!

RIP Bill. One of the best Breakfast has ever had.
[-] The following 2 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom

What was also not mentioned in any tributes was that he had a period hosting the Six alongside Sophie Raworth

Here he is in 2003 in a period a bit like now, where BBC News was half way through a rebrand - new studio, old titles, non matching logo used on the big screen but nowhere else

youtu.be 

According to genome there was also a period where he did Breakfast TV on Fridays and Five Live Breakfast on Saturdays - often with Louise Minchin.

(02-09-2022, 07:11 PM)Andrew Wrote:  What was also not mentioned in any tributes was that he had a period hosting the Six alongside Sophie Raworth

Here he is in 2003 in a period a bit like now, where BBC News was half way through a rebrand - new studio, old titles, non matching logo used on the big screen but nowhere else

youtu.be 

I think he only did the odd bulletin here and there - wasn’t a permanent role from memory.

Dermot and Sian would regularly appear on the Six too, the latter having a big stint covering Sophie on maternity.  

In fact, I’m sure there is a clip somewhere of Bill and Sian presenting the Six together.

(02-09-2022, 09:17 PM)chris Wrote:  
(02-09-2022, 07:11 PM)Andrew Wrote:  What was also not mentioned in any tributes was that he had a period hosting the Six alongside Sophie Raworth

youtu.be 

I think he only did the odd bulletin here and there - wasn’t a permanent role from memory.

Dermot and Sian would regularly appear on the Six too, the latter having a big stint covering Sophie on maternity.  

In fact, I’m sure there is a clip somewhere of Bill and Sian presenting the Six together.

Yes there is, courtesy of TVARK.

cleanfeed.thetvroom.com 
Web Image

Admin edit: link to websnatched YouTube video removed and replaced with a still image.

Glad to see the admins on here taking a stance on websnatching. I really hate seeing Youtube accounts full of videos snatched from other websites... or even other YouTube channels, which makes even less sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • TVFan