Unused title sequences

Though, to add thinking about it some more, advance copies of “Rose” were supposed to have the Delia Derbyshire arrangement of the theme - not ever intended to be aired mind you, just because the (first) Murray Gold arrangement hadn’t been completed yet.

(08-01-2024, 09:42 AM)Rdd Wrote:  The only actual unused Doctor Who titles I’m aware of were the version of the 1970 titles which was supposed to have a new version of the theme tune which (thankfully) they didn’t use - I think it was supposed to debut with Carnival of Monsters in 1973 - it was dropped very shortly before airing and the original arrangement got another six years of use. Afaik the visuals were identical to the 1970 titles, only the music was different, so this might not count!

I might be getting the story slightly wrong, but didn't that one come to light because they'd shipped out copies with it on to Australia before they changed their mind before broadcast here?

(08-01-2024, 09:42 AM)Rdd Wrote:  The only actual unused Doctor Who titles I’m aware of were the version of the 1970 titles which was supposed to have a new version of the theme tune which (thankfully) they didn’t use - I think it was supposed to debut with Carnival of Monsters in 1973 - it was dropped very shortly before airing and the original arrangement got another six years of use. Afaik the visuals were identical to the 1970 titles, only the music was different, so this might not count!
It was the same visuals as before, but a new theme. It was pulled so late in the day that it still made it to air in Australia during that serial because the film transfer they relied upon had already been created.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(07-01-2024, 10:29 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And one from a post-Brucie Play Your Cards Right pilot (with Vernon Kay):

youtu.be 

However the music itself still lived on through Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary McEwan's post:
  • Brekkie

There's an unused version of Tom Baker's titles where it features the TARDIS zooming toward the camera against a black background, then it zooms away from the camera leaving a TARDIS-shaped vortex. However the opening theme doesn't play until the next scene with the circuclar vortex. Also the picture of Tom Baker doesn't turn red and blue.

Please excuse late replies.