Nadine Dorries to Step Down from Culture Secretary Role

It was widely reported over the weekend that Liz Truss would offer Nadine Dorries the opportunity to remain in the Culture post.

However, The Mail is reporting tonight that Dorries has decided to return to the back benches.

It's expected she will be given a peerage.

www.mailplus.co.uk 

Let's hope that this has saved Channel 4.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, DE88, Ma76

(05-09-2022, 11:11 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Let's hope that this has saved Channel 4.

Hopefully but I fear not.  You'd think there couldn't possibly be anyone worse at being culture secretary than she is but they always manage to surprise.

(06-09-2022, 12:44 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(05-09-2022, 11:11 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Let's hope that this has saved Channel 4.

Hopefully but I fear not.  You'd think there couldn't possibly be anyone worse at being culture secretary than she is but they always manage to surprise.

I imagine the the likes of the BBC are not celebrating just yet for that very reason. Previously they had thought John Whittingdale MP was bad news for them.

From the candidate interviews I seem to recall that both had indicated the Channel 4 sale would still go ahead. Hopefully though the BBC can get a better increase/settlement though with whoever takeovers as Culture Secretary to avoid even deeper cuts.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Ma76

Kemi Badenoch seems to be the name being thrown around the most this morning  so yeah, we're likely going from bad to worse. Or at least from bad to equally as bad.

(06-09-2022, 11:05 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Kemi Badenoch seems to be the name being thrown around the most this morning  so yeah, were likely going from bad to worse. Or at least from bad to equally as bad.

You could say Dorries' replacement is Badenoch.....

I'll get me coat.

New culture secretary announced...

twitter.com 

(06-09-2022, 10:34 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  New culture secretary announced...

Whilst not always the most reliable source I couldn't help noticing Michelle Donelan's wiki entry mentions...
Quote:During her undergraduate study she was involved in York Student Television

One could argue that experience of TV is an improvement on being on I'm A Celeb.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Ma76

That's not her only media experience according to her Wikipedia biog, she worked for Marie Claire and WWE. Still not a massive amount but at least has some industry experience