HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage

(18-09-2023, 01:43 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  I’ve yet to see the documentary, but if it’s right Dermot Murnaghan is claiming he got to Buckingham Palace first and so got the best spot, that’s a little bit cheeky.

For the Queen’s death all the positions were drawn out on a plan long in advance. Once different broadcasters turned up, those with allocated spaces (the UK networks, US networks, news agencies) all began to setup in their agreed positions.

So Dermot might have ensured Sky got their spot, which would have been one of the best, but if he’d have gone in the wrong place he’d soon have been moved, as would anyone taking Sky’s spot!

In terms of the announcement of her being unwell I think ABC got it on Good Morming America first, think NBC and CBS were a little behind I think, possibly not by much.

CNN and ABC got the announcement of her death on air very close to each other, can’t quite remember who was first. From what I remember NBC were next, CBS not long after.

CBS’ funeral coverage was much shorter than the other networks, they went back to regular programmes as the coffin was leaving London, not long after CBS Mornings would have finished anyway. ABC and NBC carried on until after the internment in Windsor.

Yeah, and from what I remember CNN, Fox, MSNBC, NBC and CBS all also showed Liz Truss's live televised address to the nation from just outside 10 Downing Street on the Queen's death (ABC didn't show the address live, but showed it a few moments later)

(18-09-2023, 08:30 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think there was some kind of warning, you can see people running across the BBC newsroom on the TOTH sequence a few minutes before it's announced
That happened after the Press Association issued the Palace’s announcement.

We all know broadcasters didn’t know what was exactly going on before the official announcement, but Nicholas Witchell said he got an email from the Palace at 18:28, when he was sitting next to Huw.

According to Peter Sissons’ book, Jennie Bond is the first BBC journalist who was informed of the death of the Queen Mother in 2002. So I guess the Palace still tells the BBC’s royal correspondent but this time it was a very short notice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frances's post:
  • UTVLifer

Thought this was worth sharing as I don't think its been posted here yet. Liz Truss talks about how she got told of the news in the Commons and when she found out The Queen had passed away. Starts at around 5:30 in.

Some notable points:

Apparently an aide had to go and pick up Truss' black dress from her house.

She was told a few hours before the public announcement was made but couldn't recall the exact time.

Truss drafted her Downing Street statement with an aide. It wasn't taken 'off the shelf' as it were.

m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

(19-09-2023, 09:41 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Thought this was worth sharing as I don't think its been posted here yet. Liz Truss talks about how she got told of the news in the Commons and when she found out The Queen had passed away. Starts at around 5:30 in.

Some notable points:

Apparently an aide had to go and pick up Truss' black dress from her house.

She was told a few hours before the public announcement was made but couldn't recall the exact time.

Truss drafted her Downing Street statement with an aide. It wasn't taken 'off the shelf' as it were.

m.youtube.com 

Truss was told at 4:30pm by the Cabinet Secretary, two hours before the public announcement, and was the first of the 15 or so Commonwealth PMs to be informed

(20-09-2023, 10:28 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Truss was told at 4:30pm by the Cabinet Secretary, two hours before the public announcement, and was the first of the 15 or so Commonwealth PMs to be informed

I understand it's par for the course. Due to the time differences all 15 PM's had to know before the news was made public.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • UTVLifer