The Great Massacre on HBO Max

From across the pond, though likely to affect non American users as well, HBO Max is culling a lot of Cartoon Network and HBO Max series from the service, amidst the merger of Warner Bros Discovery, which has so far seen a ton of TV Shows and Movies culled in varied states of production, and mass layoffs of staff. An eye watering 36 shows, the majority being their own original content, are being removed this week as the service merges with Discovery+.

variety.com 

With rumours going around that these cuts are also due to Tax write-offs, you have to wonder what the future holds for the merged corporation of WBD? Is this process of rationalising an unwieldly corporate bird's nest necessary, or does it only hurt the general public?

[Image: blu97.png]

The way things have a habit of just vanishing from streaming services is one if the main issues I have with them. The amount of times something's been pulled when I'm only part way through is shocking. Similar with DRMd digital purchases which can also become unplayable for various reasons. Lots of people say physical media is finished, but at least I know it's still going to be there when I want to watch it. This situation with HBO Max really is a shining example of why I don't want to rely on streaming. Even when it's their own original content you can't rely on them not to pull the plug, it's not just about the rights to bought in content running out.

Apparently as well a lot of it's being done for tax writeoff purposes, which means it's quite possible said content may never be available legitimately again, and most of it never had a physical release so it's not as if people can even try and hunt down copies of that to keep watching.

owendennis.substack.com 

Owen Dennis' latest newspaper is saying that CN was on the creator's side, but the order was from... higher up at Discovery.

(20-08-2022, 07:04 PM)James2001 Wrote:  The way things have a habit of just vanishing from streaming services is one if the main issues I have with them. The amount of times something's been pulled when I'm only part way through is shocking.

I suppose it's less of a problem for the sort of viewer that they might be targeting or envisioning - the binge watcher. If you tend to binge watch series in a short amount of time, series disappearing might be as noticeable.

twitter.com 

archive.ph 

Seems their own employees are endorsing piracy, which isn't looking too good on Discovery's part as this comes hours before the premiere of House of the Dragon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell