Discussion of Continuity Announcement Style and Delivery

A terrible piece of continuity on BBC1 following the funeral, she sounded too upbeat that even my wife made a comment.

Even worse it went on on the News channel and World News too. It should have been more sombre and generic if being broadcast across the world.
[-] The following 10 users Like robrymond's post:
  • Andrew Wood, BeebBoy, chaose, Clean Feed, dbl, JamieD, Ma76, thomash79, TWO ident, UTVLifer

(19-09-2022, 05:11 PM)robrymond Wrote:  A terrible piece of continuity on BBC1 following the funeral, she sounded too upbeat that even my wife made a comment.

Even worse it went on on the News channel and World News too. It should have been more sombre and generic if being broadcast across the world.

I have a lot of time for the BBC but some of the recent additions to their continuity team have not been good. I appreciate the need for differing accents, but their intonation seems to be all over the place. Some of them can't seem to express a sentence in natural cadence - including the person at this 5:10pm junction.
[-] The following 6 users Like CF1's post:
  • BeebBoy, ginnyfan, Lester, Ma76, robrymond, thomash79

(19-09-2022, 05:52 PM)CF1 Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 05:11 PM)robrymond Wrote:  A terrible piece of continuity on BBC1 following the funeral, she sounded too upbeat that even my wife made a comment.

I have a lot of time for the BBC but some of the recent additions to their continuity team have not been good. I appreciate the need for differing accents, but their intonation seems to be all over the place. Some of them can't seem to express a sentence in natural cadence - including the person at this 5:10pm junction.
It just sounded like it was forced and unnatural. I'm guessing this announcer will be on all evening which on such a momentous day in history is such a shame.
[-] The following 2 users Like robrymond's post:
  • CF1, thomash79

(19-09-2022, 05:56 PM)robrymond Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 05:52 PM)CF1 Wrote:  

It just sounded like it was forced and unnatural. I'm guessing this announcer will be on all evening which on such a momentous day in history is such a shame.

It's a shame they don't have someone like Duncan Newmarch doing the continuity announcements tonight - at least you know with someone like Duncan, he has the intelligence and experience to judge the mood correctly around the programmes he's introducing.
[-] The following 2 users Like CF1's post:
  • Ma76, thomash79

Just re-round on Iplayer to see the annoucement at the 1710 junction on BBC1 and it was not great to say the least.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tom's post:
  • CF1, thomash79

At least it wasn’t the announcer who they had on last night who I saw received some criticism online. Some can’t really do serious so instead put on an over the top serious voice and it sounds ridiculous

Regarding todays, doesn’t seem like she is on all night, what’s his name introduced The One Show
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • thomash79

BBC One seem to have switched announcers, if the junction introducing The One Show was anything to go by. Thankfully, given what we heard at 5:10pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CF1's post:
  • thomash79

Just listened back to the junction and the response on here is a classic overreaction! The tone/intonation was slightly odd but from the outraged comments on here you'd think they asked one of the presenters from Cbeebies to do the announcement!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Critique's post:
  • IanJRedman

(19-09-2022, 07:11 PM)Critique Wrote:  Just listened back to the junction and the response on here is a classic overreaction! The tone/intonation was slightly odd but from the outraged comments on here you'd think they asked one of the presenters from Cbeebies to do the announcement!

Exactly, the tone wasn't right at all for a national broadcaster on such a historic day. That junction went out across the world and should have been a more sombre 'This is BBC television from London, now time for the news...'

If my wife made a comment and she couldn't care less about junctions then something is amiss.
[-] The following 5 users Like robrymond's post:
  • BeebBoy, chaose, Ma76, thomash79, TWO ident

You are, of course, correct. She sounded as though she was introducing 'Strictly', not bridging the most sombre occasion in living memory with a news programme reporting said occasion. It would have been better if they'd dispensed with that junction altogether, if that was the best they could do. Last night's anno into The Eve of the State Funeral was also excrutiating. I've heard some awful, totally inappropriate continuity announcements over the last couple of weeks from people who sound as if they've just been dragged in off the street, plonked in front of a microphone and given something to read on a scrap of paper, with no sense of gravitas whatsoever - and tone is vital on these occasions.
I realise the Beeb is trying to be more reflective of society as it is today, but (seemingly) without proper training and without finding people with an instinct for what sounds right, they're getting it badly wrong. And, as someone who has worked in a very closely-related job in one of the BBC's regions for over 25 years, I find it offensive, quite frankly. Having an accent should not be a bar to good announcing... but good announcing is not what we've been getting recently. Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional and experienced voices.
[-] The following 8 users Like BeebBoy's post:
  • chaose, dbl, ginnyfan, Lester, Ma76, robrymond, thomash79, TVFan