Discussion of Continuity Announcement Style and Delivery

Jesus, anybody would think this continuity announcer had hijacked the funeral and pi**ed on the coffin. After pretty flawless coverage I’m assuming some are just looking for something, anything, to manufacture a fuss about.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • all new phil, Allanbuzzy, Critique, Lester, SunburntRock89, WhisperOfCinnamon

As a Presentation discussion forum, contributors are entitled to comment on an aspect of Presentation. As with any discussion where there are large numbers of people involved, there will be differing opinions. But let's keep the debate and language civil.

Additionally, worth keeping in mind that whilst it’s perfectly fine to express an opinion on the on-air performance of broadcast talent, please be conscious that the individual in question may well be reading your comments. So please be respectful.
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin PC's post:
  • Rijowhi, Rob Francis, Si-Co, TVFan

(19-09-2022, 09:47 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If that's his accent, he can't help it. I feel like you guys are being questionably judgemental. The role of a continuity announcer is to inform the viewer of the next programme clearly, which he did.

As it happens BBC Wales are advertising for a new announcer, so the job description is easily available. careerssearch.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:Television Presentation Director/Announcers maintain the transmission of BBC television
channels in the Nations. They operate the television presentation suites, get live programmes on
and off the air, play out pre-recorded material, time-shift material from the network and perform
tonally appropriate live out-of-vision announcements.

Quote:Perform both live and recorded material in an appropriate style with clarity, authority and
versatility, using the correct pronunciation and acceptable grammar

Emphasis mine.  Getting the tone right is very much a requirement of the job.
[-] The following 6 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • BeebBoy, Clean Feed, ethanjbrady, Ma76, thomash79, TVFan

(20-09-2022, 01:51 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 09:47 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If that's his accent, he can't help it. I feel like you guys are being questionably judgemental. The role of a continuity announcer is to inform the viewer of the next programme clearly, which he did.

As it happens BBC Wales are advertising for a new announcer, so the job description is easily available. careerssearch.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:Television Presentation Director/Announcers maintain the transmission of BBC television
channels in the Nations. They operate the television presentation suites, get live programmes on
and off the air, play out pre-recorded material, time-shift material from the network and perform

Quote:Perform both live and recorded material in an appropriate style with clarity, authority and

I rest my case.

(20-09-2022, 02:55 PM)BeebBoy Wrote:  
(20-09-2022, 01:51 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  

I rest my case.
I’ll give it a go but I don’t think my northern accent would be appreciated.

Tonight's female announcer on BBC One is another God-awful one - her intonation is all over the place and she doesn't sound natural at all.

There's a difference between an accent and someone's delivery. I've heard many different accents from across the country, but their delivery matches the mood of what they're going into or coming out of. I'm afraid for gravity of the event, it doesn't sound great from those BBC One examples in the thread... It is continuity basics.

I really like the northern guy on BBC One, not keen on the Brummy on Channel 4 that sounds like he's putting it on or the guy on BBC1 that sounds like he's had an allergic reaction/swallowed a wasp.

I guess its all just personal preference? Maybe there are lots of young people that can hear themselves via the new announcers. Just seems a little box ticky and not based on ability, again just an opinion....

Let's face it, the only decent announcers that the BBC has left are Duncan Newmarch, Matthew Jackson, Peter Offer, Dean Lydiate, Emily Chiswell, Delroy Haynes, Natalie Jaque, Alyson Slorach and Phil Vowels.

I think you're doing a massive disservice to a great number of people there. I can't believe that Dean Lydiate didn't make your list?

There are loads of others whose names are less familiar who are very competent but more anonymous. You don't notice them because they are very good, they aren't cocking things up but aren't doing the more entertaining stuff like Duncan - that's no criticism, it's long been said that if you're not noticing the presentation department they're doing their job well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • stusoldvideo