Bid.tv Website -

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. I don't quite know where wrbsites for former channels belong.

I was watching technical difficulty clips and came upon some Bid ones. I decided to see if the Bid website (bid.tv) was still up. It looks to be up, but as a shell, with no products in any categories.

The site still has a 2019 copyright date. I understand the TV service ended. Is the website still active intentionally, or has it just not been taken down?

Cheers

IIRC Sit-up went bump in April 2014, and the entire company went into administration - the TV channels, the company, the website, behind the scenes stuff, the lot. Even Peter Simon had to move. The entire operation was later dissolved.

Somebody later bought the intellectual rights a few months later with a view presumably to relaunch the whole operation.
But that's as far as it went.

This thread on the blue place might be of interest:
www.tvforum.co.uk 

The relaunch never happened, but bid.tv as it stands is nothing to do with the original company.

Edit - this might be of interest:
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk 

(, in particular the "Statement of administrator's proposal" from 12th June 2014) - the company had been in trouble for months, but the clues were there when they changed the channel format)
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bax, DE88

(02-04-2024, 09:48 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  IIRC Sit-up went bump in April 2014, and the entire company went into administration - the TV channels, the company, the website, behind the scenes stuff, the lot. Even Peter Simon had to move. The entire operation was later dissolved.

Somebody later bought the intellectual rights a few months later with a view presumably to relaunch the whole operation.
But that's as far as it went.

This thread on the blue place might be of interest:
www.tvforum.co.uk 

The relaunch never happened, but bid.tv as it stands is nothing to do with the original company.

Edit - this might be of interest:
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk 

(, in particular the "Statement of administrator's proposal" from 12th June 2014) - the company had been in trouble for months, but the clues were there when they changed the channel format)

Cheers for the info. Was a bit surprised to see a website still functional but that explains it nicely. Someone obviously still has an auto-renew set to keep everything in place site-wise.

(02-04-2024, 10:04 AM)IBM Wrote:  Cheers for the info. Was a bit surprised to see a website still functional but that explains it nicely. Someone obviously still has an auto-renew set to keep everything in place site-wise.

That's just a spam website now - someone bought the domain in October 2014 to capture any web traffic. It bears no relation to what was there in Feb 2014 - web.archive.org 

The websites were pulled pretty much the same time as the plug was pulled on the operation.

The only thing that lasted was the apology captions the studios were shoving out because it happened just before Easter time in 2014, and Easter was very late that year.

again the blue place has the archive of the discussion:
www.tvforum.co.uk 

Far as I can make out the actual going off air was never recorded (at home anyway), or at least was never put up to YouTube, so what happened that day is anybody's guess. Apparently went off air mid item (by that point they'd morphed into Ideal World in everything but name) and was never seen again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88

(02-04-2024, 12:17 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Apparently went off air mid item (by that point they'd morphed into Ideal World in everything but name) and was never seen again.
Bid had ("Shop at Bid"), although Price Drop had rebranded to Bid Extra then rebranded back to Price Drop with a ridiculous format which meant viewers didn't know if they'd 'won' anything or not until after the 'auction' had completed.

The last few months of Sit-up were a farce. There were suppliers crying foul at having been given nothing as part of a questionable CVA (ISTR Arqiva were far and away the largest creditor), Ofcom launched an investigation, Speed Auction/Bid Extra appeared and disappeared seemingly at random for the best part of a year, Price Drop rebranded and then changed back again. The bloke behind the Daily Sport buying up the assets and then a relaunch which never happened were the cherry on the cake.

Mad to think it was a decade ago now!

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

Time to relive the (badly) looped music from after the channel closed!

[ *** Automated Edit : This link is blocked. Please refer to rule 30 *** ]

Edit: oh, looks like that's from a youtube channel this website doesn't like... I can't find another video of it though.

(02-04-2024, 02:53 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Time to relive the (badly) looped music from after the channel closed!

[ *** Automated Edit : This link is blocked. Please refer to rule 30 *** ]

Edit: oh, looks like that's from a youtube channel this website doesn't like... I can't find another video of it though.
This video has the looped Bid music recorded from before the closure (starts at 0:40):

www.youtube.com 

(02-04-2024, 12:17 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The websites were pulled pretty much the same time as the plug was pulled on the operation.

The only thing that lasted was the apology captions the studios were shoving out because it happened just before Easter time in 2014, and Easter was very late that year.

again the blue place has the archive of the discussion:
www.tvforum.co.uk 

Far as I can make out the actual going off air was never recorded (at home anyway), or at least was never put up to YouTube, so what happened that day is anybody's guess. Apparently went off air mid item (by that point they'd morphed into Ideal World in everything but name) and was never seen again.

Peter Sherlock was mid way through presenting an item, the screen flickered and went to the breakdown loop on Shop at Bid. Sadly the last few minutes weren't captured by anyone or uploaded as you say.

I'm sure I remember there being a video of the moment of closedown being online at the time, but it's long since vanished.