BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

All the SD channels just went offair - all showing same genetic caption. Didn't see it happen but was a few minutes ago.

10:55 according to a516digital, slightly later than the previously mentioned 6am cut-off.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(08-01-2024, 12:00 PM)Josh Wrote:  10:55 according to a516digital, slightly later than the previously mentioned 6am cut-off.
The EPG listings ended at 6am, thats the end of the broadcast day so you'd expect that

When the HD channels were shuffled and brought on air it all happened during the working day as that's when there's staff in to do the changes at all the organisations involved. No point paying lots of people extra to come in overnight
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Josh

The slide showing on all channels:
twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(08-01-2024, 12:21 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The EPG listings ended at 6am, thats the end of the broadcast day so you'd expect that

When the HD channels were shuffled and brought on air it all happened during the working day as that's when there's staff in to do the changes at all the organisations involved. No point paying lots of people extra to come in overnight
There's a difference though

Sky does that for their channels at. 10-ish 11-ish whatever channel so it's not surprising they did that for the BBC HD channels, while I suppose BBC has a better control over its broadcasting

Sky Sports Racing SD currently off-air.(temporarily I can imagine)

Do you think this is because of what happened this morning? twitter.com 

(08-01-2024, 01:08 PM)Kunst Wrote:  There's a difference though

Sky does that for their channels at. 10-ish 11-ish whatever channel so it's not surprising they did that for the BBC HD channels, while I suppose BBC has a better control over its broadcasting
These sorts of changes need co-ordination between the broadcaster and the platforms themselves (and in some cases the satellite operator). So if Sky usually do changes at 10-11 then that's when it'll happen