The CW taken over by Nexstar

(11-02-2023, 10:36 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(19-01-2023, 06:33 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  The LIV Golf deal is done.

www.livgolf.com 
An interesting update: Promos for LIV Golf have launched, but that is to be broadcast on WGN (a Nexstar independent), instead of WCIU (The CW affiliate owned by Weigel) in Chicago.

This is not the only case. CW affiliates in San Francisco, Philadelphia, Tampa, Hartford and San Diego have preempted LIV Golf coverage too in favor of regular or syndicated programming; as a result, Nexstar has resold or displaced coverage to independent or MyNetworkTV stations in these markets.

deadline.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • W. Knight

(19-01-2023, 10:40 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(19-01-2023, 06:33 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  The LIV Golf deal is done.

www.livgolf.com 
And there's an interesting CW Sports symbol on Nexstar's news release as well:

That CW Sports symbol is being used as a burnt-in on screen DOG during linear telecasts:

[Image: image.png]
  • W. Knight

To be honest, I’m hoping for a rebrand under the new owners.

The CW always seemed like a silly name to me, with the definite article part of the official name. And don’t get me started on the logo ;-)

If Nexstar want to attract a different demographic, surely, the branding must be up for discussion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaose's post:
  • Medianext.MX

If as it looks like their programming mix changes significantly then yes, it probably would be wise to rebrand. There is still value though in the CW brand so they need to get it right - I can't see it becoming Nexstar for example. Not sure too if Nexstar have any ambitions in the streaming space - if they do a rebrand of the channel might coincide.

Not sure if FCC rules prevented it but to be honest I was surprised CBS never bought out WB and rebranded it as CBS2 with more crossover between the two. Indeed, did CBS ever promote CW and vice versa?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Medianext.MX

A big 'ouch' for Nexstar/CW's first official foray into sports broadcasting:
twitter.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 2 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie

(27-02-2023, 12:28 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  A big 'ouch' for Nexstar/CW's first official foray into sports broadcasting:
twitter.com 

Over at WPIX, they got only 0.08 in rating.

twitter.com 

And it's just getting worse: Awful Announcing's Jay Ridgon has collected some scathing reviews about how Nexstar is treating LIV Golf, some calling it "an infomercial":

awfulannouncing.com 

According to a Semafor Media report from Max Tani, Nexstar wants to build new forms of revenue by taking these reputational risks, including the aforementioned LIV Golf deal and luring disgraced former CNN anchor Chris Cuomo to NewsNation:

www.semafor.com 
  • W. Knight

(26-02-2023, 01:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  If as it looks like their programming mix changes significantly then yes, it probably would be wise to rebrand. There is still value though in the CW brand so they need to get it right - I can't see it becoming Nexstar for example. Not sure too if Nexstar have any ambitions in the streaming space - if they do a rebrand of the channel might coincide.

Not sure if FCC rules prevented it but to be honest I was surprised CBS never bought out WB and rebranded it as CBS2 with more crossover between the two. Indeed, did CBS ever promote CW and vice versa?

CBS were the owners of UPN, or most of that was when Viacom owned both from 2000-2006. Then made a deal to essentially end UPN and do a joint venture with Warner, since both had weak networks. This was a way to have a strong "fifth" network and stronger stations. On the question of cross-promoting, it would have been hard to do nationally. Imagine being let's say KPHO-TV in Phoenix and owned by at the time Meredith or now Gray and having the network you are with (CBS) promote a station (the CW station) that's owned by some one else , Scripps. That'd be awkward. In certain markets they could have like I'm sure KYW-TV and WPSG in Philly would and did.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sky303's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Pretty similar to STV not airing ITV2 promos I suppose.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Brekkie, chaose

Big blunder for Nexstar: CBS News' eight CW affiliates will drop The CW this fall, and transition to indie outlets.

variety.com 

At the same time, the new Nexstar management has rescued a victim of WBD's "tax write-ins": Max Original FBoy Island, ordering a new season and launching a spin-off:

variety.com 
  • W. Knight

San Francisco, Philadelphia and Atlanta aren't markets that the CW really can't afford to lose. However I can see CBS's reasoning to converting them to independents which allows them to utilise Paramount Global shows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell