25 years of the Martin Lambie Nairn BBC Logo

Without doubt, the golden era of BBC presentation. Perhaps the golden era of the BBC in my lifetime and I have always and still do love the BBC.

VMPhil's observation about the boxed idents is spot on, in my opinion. The whole cohesiveness of the Lambie Nairn 1997 rebranding started to fall apart then, although the first major break in it was arguably the different placement of the News 24 logo in 1998.

Like the Chameleon project, the BBC went for institutional conformity across its brands. They just did it a lot faster in 1997 and it looked a hell of a lot better.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alan de Robson's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, TimGoodwin

(05-10-2022, 08:55 PM)Gazlet Wrote:  
(05-10-2022, 04:20 PM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  
(05-10-2022, 03:18 PM)Gazlet Wrote:  You might be entertained to know that when originally presented to the BBC Presentation department, CBBC had been forgotten and had to be designed post-haste!

Thank goodness they went for the Yellow and Black animations, they were the best idents that CBBC has had.
It’s interesting as many people internally felt that the style (with its references to traditional cartoons etc like Tom and Jerry) failed to match the more contemporary style of programmes the Children’s department was making by then!

I disagree, 2002 was when CBBC started to go downhill.

It was also 25 years last Thursday since the BBC Learning Zone acorn branding launched.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like IdentFan101's post:
  • Gazlet, Roger Darthwell

Is it some kind of twisted joke that the thumbnail for this thread is the new ugly logo? Big Grin

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, DTV, Nescafé, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(11-10-2022, 01:39 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Is it some kind of twisted joke that the thumbnail for this thread is the new ugly logo? Big Grin

And as if by magic...
[-] The following 2 users Like Nescafé's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, VMPhil

(11-10-2022, 12:24 PM)IdentFan101 Wrote:  It was also 25 years last Thursday since the BBC Learning Zone acorn branding launched.
youtu.be 

Other than the little Windows 3.1 pop up on the full ident, it’s relatively timeless. Don’t forget it was used until 2015, and only stopped because the Learning Zone stopped.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • DE88, Roger Darthwell, TimGoodwin