2022 FIFA World Cup

Just over a month to go before the World Cup is underway... FIFA has unveiled the opening titles and theme music for the world feed TV broadcasts. You'll need to get directly to the video (FIFA deliberately blocks embedding to protect their copyright). Here it is.

In comparison, here's the opening for the last World Cup, which featured the first outing of the FIFA's then-new anthem "Living Football" (from Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe).

This is a nice World Cup promo for pres fans from ITV

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • TVFan

ITV have announced the team for the World Cup:
www.itv.com 

Good to hear Jon Champion back on ITV and great to see that Ally McCoist is part of the team too.

It's a shame that Sam Matterface is still number 1 commentator as Clive and Jon are much better than him in my opinion.

Won’t be watching as it shouldn’t be taking place in such a country.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • BeebBoy, ConorM98

I haven't heard anywhere near as much hype for this world cup as past ones, I imagine the location and the controversy over it has a lot to do with it, being in November probably doesn't help either
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • UTVLifer

(28-10-2022, 11:11 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I haven't heard anywhere near as much hype for this world cup as past ones, I imagine the location and the controversy over it has a lot to do with it, being in November probably doesn't help either

Indeed, it's going to be a rather odd experience all round I feel.

I would expect the presentation like what ITV have put out all ready will focus on the World Cup as an event rather than the location of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • UTVLifer

I can assure you that the hype definitely exists in Wales but that could be because it is has been 64 years since we last played at a World Cup. As a Welshman, I am really looking forward to see how well we can play.

On a separate note, I'm disappointed that they named John Hartson as a co-commentator. I remember when he did the Newport County v Man City match in the FA Cup that he was all over the place including mis-pronouncing player names. IMHO, they should've gone for the likes of Craig Bellamy, he is very enthusiastic and does draw your attention to the matches.

I agree that it should never have gone to Qatar because of their abuses but I'll only be watching because my nation is in it and I intend to enjoy it aware that it may never happen again in my lifetime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KrazyKei's post:
  • ConorM98

(28-10-2022, 11:11 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I haven't heard anywhere near as much hype for this world cup as past ones, I imagine the location and the controversy over it has a lot to do with it, being in November probably doesn't help either

I expect it’ll start slow with some worrying ratings as many see it as a nuisance getting in the way of the premier league, but will quickly get going, and of course it depends on how England get on early doors.

I agree about the build up, I expect the whole advertising industry are slightly thrown about how to approach it, the usual stereotypes about getting mates around to drink big cases of beer, pizzas, BBQs etc is all a bit odd in November and December. There is none of that ‘summer of sport’ bandwagon to jump on, and retailers are focussing seasonal space on Christmas. I think we said all this at the time it was announced.
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • UTVLifer, Yorksman

Doesn't help that if the fans in Qatar get drunk on beer they'll likely get arrested!
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • ConorM98

(28-10-2022, 11:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  

I expect it’ll start slow with some worrying ratings as many see it as a nuisance getting in the way of the premier league, but will quickly get going, and of course it depends on how England get on early doors.

I agree about the build up, I expect the whole advertising industry are slightly thrown about how to approach it, the usual stereotypes about getting mates around to drink big cases of beer, pizzas, BBQs etc is all a bit odd in November and December. There is none of that ‘summer of sport’ bandwagon to jump on, and retailers are focussing seasonal space on Christmas. I think we said all this at the time it was announced.

I can see ratings being reasonably low throughout the tournament.
I wouldn’t be shocked if Engkand v USA is under 15 million which would be quite low for a primetime England World Cup match. If England go out early the knockouts could be a lot down on previous World Cups.
The ratings for the opening match of Qatar v Ecuador could be 2 million or under which would be low for a Sunday afternoon World Cup Match.