ITVx - The ITV News Streaming Service

(07-12-2022, 09:03 PM)LiamFitz Wrote:  Does this new service launch tomorrow?

I don’t think it is happening. There is already the on-demand news section on X. I think the FAST news channel idea was quietly dropped after people at ITN (allegedly!) threatened mutiny. Happy to be corrected, though.

Is this still meant to happen?

(28-02-2023, 05:49 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  Is this still meant to happen?

It's not a channel as such. It's basically just the reports and headline updates you see on the ITV website, under 'ITV News':

[Image: Screenshot%202023-03-01%20at%2022_20_57.png]
I believe plans for the 'full-fat' service were halted after a threatened mutiny at ITN. No, really.

(01-03-2023, 11:37 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(28-02-2023, 05:49 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  Is this still meant to happen?

It's not a channel as such. It's basically just the reports and headline updates you see on the ITV website, under 'ITV News':

[Image: Screenshot%202023-03-01%20at%2022_20_57.png]
I believe plans for the 'full-fat' service were halted after a threatened mutiny at ITN. No, really.

Staff at ITV News are very stretched, particularly since the EN extension. I’m sure if there were the resources, additional coverage would be welcomed.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • dbl, Kojak

if the BBC news channel is erm... rationalising its operation, would this not be the ideal opportunity for ITV to build a FAST channel, out of its regional and international operations, it seems this would be a USP over BBC /SKY. what extra money and resources would be needed? Maybe unknown talent which could then "graduate" to the national bulletins on the main channel.

(02-03-2023, 02:54 PM)cable Wrote:  if the BBC news channel is erm... rationalising its operation, would this not be the ideal opportunity for ITV to build a FAST channel, out of its regional and international operations, it seems this would be a USP over BBC /SKY. what extra money and resources would be needed? Maybe unknown talent which could then "graduate" to the national bulletins on the main channel.

Yes because famously rolling news requires zero money or resources. Why do you think the BBC News channel is being rationalised?
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Jeff, London Lite, oscillon, UTVLifer

(02-03-2023, 04:15 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 02:54 PM)cable Wrote:  if the BBC news channel is erm... rationalising its operation, would this not be the ideal opportunity for ITV to build a FAST channel, out of its regional and international operations, it seems this would be a USP over BBC /SKY. what extra money and resources would be needed? Maybe unknown talent which could then "graduate" to the national bulletins on the main channel.

Yes because famously rolling news requires zero money or resources. Why do you think the BBC News channel is being rationalised?

Because it's still crying about not getting guaranteed revenue? Less of the sarcasm, Genuine question though, what extra money and resources would theroretically be needed?

(02-03-2023, 04:39 PM)cable Wrote:  Genuine question though, what extra money and resources would theroretically be needed?
Well I guess that depends on how sophisticated you want the service. The simplest rolling news option - Euronews-style - isn't going to cost much more than the existing ITV News operation, presuming you're just using reports that would've been created anyway. A simple bulletin set-up, i.e. having a presenter linking into those reports, is also going to be relatively cheap - you'll only have the extra presenter and staffing costs (though this could itself run into a few £m).

But if you want anything more dynamic than that - extra reports, live reports, contributors, business and/or sport segments, breaking news capabilities, etc. - that's when additional costs are going to start coming in because you'll need more staff and resources. I'm not sure where ITV News is budget wise these days, but the whole Sky News operation costs about £90m annually and the BBC News channel alone costs around £60m (and that's partly piggy-backing off the wider BBC News operation which totals a few £100m).

Thank You. How about something that simulcasts Good Morning Britain and the ITV News at 1.30, 6.30pm and 10pm with a loop of regional bulletins and weather, FYI Daily, Tonight and maybe investigative documentaries and ITVX news?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(02-03-2023, 02:20 PM)chris Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 11:37 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It's not a channel as such. It's basically just the reports and headline updates you see on the ITV website, under 'ITV News':

Staff at ITV News are very stretched, particularly since the EN extension. I’m sure if there were the resources, additional coverage would be welcomed.
Yes, there was a Private Eye article about it:

[Image: itv%20vs%20itn.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Ma76, RhysJR, SunburntRock89