BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present

(10-01-2024, 02:39 PM)XIII Wrote:  I think anyone who doesn't want to embrace streaming is stuck in the past.
Personally, I DO embrace it very well.

It's just that at times the promotions appear to be excessive

But, I don't understand those who can tolerate so much advertising and a fixed schedule all the time.

I mean, I do that too at times, but in general, I think linear should work more like a showcase than something where to watch things
[-] The following 2 users Like Kunst's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, GeekyJames

(11-01-2024, 12:27 PM)Kunst Wrote:  Personally, I DO embrace it very well.

It's just that at times the promotions appear to be excessive

But, I don't understand those who can tolerate so much advertising and a fixed schedule all the time.

I mean, I do that too at times, but in general, I think linear should work more like a showcase than something where to watch things

I think that linear is indeed a showcase for top shows. Last year the BBC took the welcome decision of promoting Happy Valley on BBC1 and waited until the end of eacch episode before putting it on iPlayer. The result was good ratings. When TV companies make an effort, people turn to traditional telly to watch. Much of the reasoning behind falling ratings is the de ja vu type of programming. The same programmes on at the same time every day. People are bored with the exact same thing day in day out. Gavin and Stacey on Christmas day 2019 got huge ratings because it was something different and people looked forward to it. When TV no longer has nothing that people look forward to, then people will inevitably stop watching. TV execs are partly right, habits are changing, but they are also wrong. They use on demand apps as a disguise for their laziness in failing to be creative. Then use "changing habits" as a defacto reason for not caring anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveRW's post:
  • Roger Darthwell