TV-am inject studios

In the mid 1980s, as TV-am was finding its feet, it decided that, as well as having UK reporters based in the regions and nations, to open regional offices. These were also known as inject studios. It saved guests on the programme having to travel down to London; instead they could be interviewed locally. Ian White, the BBC Yorkshire journalist, has the North east inject studio set. It consisted of two parts. The first was a smaller version of the Good Morning Britain set, and at 90 degrees to that, was a regionalised version of the TV-am news set. In the case of the North East, it would read "TV-am North East" as opposed to TV-am News.

I know the TV-am North East studio was in an office block, a few minutes walk from Jesmond Metro station, and the one in Yorkshire was in the TV museum in Bradford. Where were the others located, and who uses them now? Also, when TV-am closed its news service in 1992, in favour of Sky produced bulletins for the last months, I assume these inject studios were done away with as well?

A couple of pictures from the TV_am Twitter account run by Ian White

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

I believe Lorraine Kelly's TV-am career started working out of the Scotland studio

The Newcastle set, pictured, is the one Ian White has preserved. I should add, the office block in Jesmond, Newcastle, has been done up, and so no trace of TV-am remains, but there was a TV-am sign on a blue pole, at the building, pointing you to TV-am. Would these studios have closed in February 1992, when TV-am closed their news service, replacing it with bulletins from Sky, or been retained until the end on 31st December 1992?

And where were the Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast, and Birmingham, and Manchester ones, and indeed any other inject studios, located?

According to a reply on the second tweet I quoted, Brum was in Broad Street/Five Ways
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • robertclark125

I’m not sure if it’s something I’ve mis-remembered but the Manchester studio wasn’t based in Manchester, I believe it was based down the A56 in Altrincham.

You could well be right. I think, if I'm correct, it was actually in a small housing complex!

(19-10-2022, 10:14 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  According to a reply on the second tweet I quoted, Brum was in Broad Street/Five Ways
I may well just be wishfully thinking this, but I'm sure I remember there being a window in one of the buildings there that was filled with a large TV-am graphic. It was something as a teen at the time that was interested in pres sort of stuck in the mind. But I'll say again, it was a long time ago and the old brain etc etc...!

[Image: tig96x96.png]

TV-am had a facility in Knutsford handling macro-regional ad playout, that's not too far from Altringham, could the regional studio have been at the same place?

(21-10-2022, 07:36 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  TV-am had a facility in Knutsford handling macro-regional ad playout, that's not too far from Altringham, could the regional studio have been at the same place?

I thought TVam handled all the regional ads from Camden? Or was that just assembly of the tapes ready for playout?

Either way it was something that was pretty quickly ditched in the name of cost saving.

I can't find it now but there was an account of all this from a technician/engineer who was there from almost the start to the infamous lockout...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(30-10-2022, 12:30 AM)WillPS Wrote:  
(21-10-2022, 07:36 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  TV-am had a facility in Knutsford handling macro-regional ad playout, that's not too far from Altringham, could the regional studio have been at the same place?

I thought TVam handled all the regional ads from Camden? Or was that just assembly of the tapes ready for playout?

Either way it was something that was pretty quickly ditched in the name of cost saving.

I can't find it now but there was an account of all this from a technician/engineer who was there from almost the start to the infamous lockout...

This one?
tvforum.uk 

Which led to www.dgsys.co.uk  which talks about Knutsford and suggests the bulk of the ad operation for TV-am was done from London and Knutsford was used to "insert" some other stuff as needs be.

But I don't think that's quite what you're referring to, but its related.