Deal Or No Deal

The Sun is reporting that Deal Or No Deal is set to return to the television screens after 8 years away with ITV broadcasting it and Stephen Mulhern being approached to present it. 

www.thesun.co.uk 

I think Stephen would do a good job and probably one of few people who could pull It off. It’s a good format but I think quite difficult to get right, it’s not Millionaire or The Chase where it’s been a pretty big hit almost anywhere it’s been sold and needs a host who sell the show and keep it together.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it came back as more of a weekly big event primetime show rather than attempting a daytime run. The strength of the format is also that it’s very flexible in terms of how it’s presented.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, DeMarkay, Gary Baldy, Ma76

Hopefully it comes back with less padding than under Noel- especially once they extended it to an hour!

Less padding and less of that weird cult type stuff you got towards the end with Noel, and I could see it doing well

(28-10-2022, 10:23 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Less padding and less of that weird cult type stuff you got towards the end with Noel, and I could see it doing well
The cult like stuff is as more in the years of the show. 

It’s almost certainly not going taking up less than an hour slot.

(28-10-2022, 09:46 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Hopefully it comes back with less padding than under Noel- especially once they extended it to an hour!

Talking of blatant padding...
www.youtube.com 

DoND haf a history of blatant padding, but you know you have a problem with the format when you have to leave all the bloopers in because a card fell off or something. Once they stopped doing the viewer competition when it got caught up in the whole phone in scandal, they'd sort of made a rod for their own back as it were, as it seemed they didn't have any other filler material, though leaving the screw up in could be their argument of "transparency".

This one I don't mind quite so much leaving in as it was right at the end of the game and added to the tension reveal, though it seems to suggest they needed some stronger tape for those labels Big Grin
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Si-Co

I think it was actually the 23rd of December, because they ended with a 250k win. You might be getting confused with "Noel's Sell or Swap Live" which aired on the 30th (not that any of it matters of course!)

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(29-10-2022, 09:43 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(28-10-2022, 09:46 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Hopefully it comes back with less padding than under Noel- especially once they extended it to an hour!

Talking of blatant padding...
www.youtube.com 

DoND haf a history of blatant padding, but you know you have a problem with the format when you have to leave all the bloopers in because a card fell off or something.  Once they stopped doing the viewer competition when it got caught up in the whole phone in scandal, they'd sort of made a rod for their own back as it were, as it seemed they didn't have any  other filler material, though leaving the screw up in could be their argument of "transparency".
Of course the vast majority of the time things like that didn’t go wrong and they still managed fill the programme. The show was very much shot ‘as live’ with very few re-takes so when they kept those things in they were just showing the progression of the game. The thing is viewers like quite like to see things like that happen and it generated publicity for the show. In many ways the idea of leaving outtakes in has been taken on to some extent by the likes of Millionaire and The Chase.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • bilky asko, Ma76, TVFan

I always found DOND to be one of the most pointless (other than Pointless) shows on TV with no excitement or skill whatsoever. I've never watched a whole show, probably due to drawn out nature of watching ppl open boxes & make inane small talk to each other & the host to fill the time up. Whereas it could be over with within 10 mins if they just get a move on & not fanny around. It was always a hard watch. The stilted conversation & team bonding was the worse thing about it & the sense you could alter what was in the box by building some kind of mutual spirit in the studio. Can't believe it lasted ~10yrs daily - ugh!

Utter garbage.

Would have been a lot better as a 30 minute show, rather than a 45 minute, then hour, one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DeMarkay