S4C Christmas 2023

They usually get missed by many, but S4C's Christmas Presentation has launched today, though I couldn't spot a press release to go with it on the English site this year and instead it's just their programme highlights release. They have a bit of a habit at S4C of switching between live action idents one year and animated the next, though it's generally always been something fresh and not recycled. However this time round it looks like even they may have gone and followed the trend by dusting off something from an old S4C look a decade ago with some minor updates. But it's still back on the animated sequences.

Just a few examples so far:-

Ident
www.tvwhirl.co.uk 

Promo Endboard Style
www.tvwhirl.co.uk 

The original package from 2013 can be seen here:-
theident.gallery 

TV Whirl - Since 2001
[-] The following 3 users Like TesTVWhirl's post:
  • Andrew Wood, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here

The original 2013 set (and other years' S4C Christmas presentation) can be seen on Rough Collie's website

roughcollie.tv 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, lookoutwales

They've aged pretty well given how far they've gone back - though I'm undecided whether it works better with the old or the new branding.

I wasn't a fan of last year's 'POV' package (you could tell they were milking their version of 'Gogglebocs' weren't you?), even though they made the effort to come up with some New Year's idents, too.

Seems appropriate given the present state of the channel that they've resorted to a less turbulent Christmas past rather than commission something new (makes me wonder if the sacked chief content officer had that responsibility...)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(04-12-2023, 05:49 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  The original 2013 set (and other years' S4C Christmas presentation) can be seen on Rough Collie's website

roughcollie.tv 
Those 2017/18 idents possibly one of the best sets of Christmas idents in recent years, with 2018 building on the 2017 campaign and both years splitting into pre and post Christmas with the idea that the Elves were working beforehand then playing once Christmas arrived.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:

(04-12-2023, 06:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Those 2017/18 idents possibly one of the best sets of Christmas idents in recent years, with 2018 building on the 2017 campaign and both years splitting into pre and post Christmas with the idea that the Elves were working beforehand then playing once Christmas arrived.

The 2006 idents also split into post Christmas, The TV set motif was retained for the new year, although this was just because it was going to lead into the major rebrand.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwesomeSauce208's post:

I love the original animation and think they hold up really well - they still feel fresh. When the channel's presentation makes so much use of that screen-splitting angled line though, it does bother me that the angles within the animation (the Christmas tree, the rooftops) don't align. That would have made them feel very purposeful and tailored. Likely just an unfortunate result of these being reused rather that built for this specific pres package.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flux's post:
  • fanoftv