Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards

(21-03-2023, 07:50 PM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  On the same subject, sticky tape and rust has just put up a complete episode of TT's 1979 show "Quest of Eagles" on YT. This went out after the strike, but TT were still using the static frontcap into what was (for them at the time) a pretty high-profile drama series. I find it strange that they would not re-edit this new show to include the confident new look for the 1980s - and it leads me to think that perhaps the "1979" ident didn't debut until early 1980?

(21-03-2023, 07:35 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Is that the one that used chimes?

Yeah I think the chime came in around 1968. This is second hand information though!
It wasn't unheard of for regions to play a different frontcap on transmission. It used to happen particularly on programmes shot on 16mm film, they would substitute a higher quality copy frontcap from 35mm or VT then cut to the programme.

(23-03-2023, 02:42 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 07:50 PM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  On the same subject, sticky tape and rust has just put up a complete episode of TT's 1979 show "Quest of Eagles" on YT. This went out after the strike, but TT were still using the static frontcap into what was (for them at the time) a pretty high-profile drama series. I find it strange that they would not re-edit this new show to include the confident new look for the 1980s - and it leads me to think that perhaps the "1979" ident didn't debut until early 1980?

Yeah I think the chime came in around 1968. This is second hand information though!
It wasn't unheard of for regions to play a different frontcap on transmission. It used to happen particularly on programmes shot on 16mm film, they would substitute a higher quality copy frontcap from 35mm or VT then cut to the programme.
This was an off-air recording from LWT though (and definitely networked from Newcastle as it had an Allan Cartner back anno over the end credits complete with classic studio 5 clunk), so in this case I'd have expected any live edits to have been present. They also played out a recorded synopsis at the start so had plenty of opportunity to update/replace the ident at broadcast.

As for TTTV pres of all places playing out a "higher quality" version of their ident, <chortle!>

I get your general point though, and agree.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 443's post:
  • Spencer, Steve in Pudsey

The I assume you mean Studio 4, Former Member 443?  :wink:

I’m pretty sure the new ident did appear on the first night back after the 1979 strike.

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Si-Co's post:
  • Former Member 443

There's a lost endcap from Border I'm trying to find (in video form). As you may know, from 2001-2004, Granada owned ITV franchises had these purple endcaps. While Granada, Yorkshire, Meridian, Tyne Tees, LWT, and Anglia (which was also a very hard one to find) all have video footage of their endcaps online, Border simply doesn't. 

I've been hunting DEEP for rare ITV endcaps, believe me, but every Border show from the era I check either doesn't have any copies online or doesn't have the logo at the end. 

I was however, able to find two images of the endcap, courtesy of AVID and 625.uk, but am unsure of what shows they come from:

[Image: Granada2000s22.png][Image: border_purple_p.jpg]

I remember someone telling me the logo appeared on Men & Motors before. Again, not sure of what show it appeared on and I was unable to find the show looking at Men & Motors schedules. I also know this logo appeared on Lookaround, but the episodes I find have the logo cut out.

If anyone knows where this Border endcap appears that would be appreciated.

As an aside I never understood why Border's idents during the hearts era were just a rather ugly italicised font without their logo. All the other Granada regions still featured their logos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • Si-Co

(26-03-2023, 07:27 PM)gottago Wrote:  As an aside I never understood why Border's idents during the hearts era were just a rather ugly italicised font without their logo. All the other Granada regions still featured their logos.

I think Border were still independent when the decision was made not to use their logo weren't they?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 443's post:
  • Si-Co

I bet the Border's Chopsticks logo eventually returned in late 2001 on the purple GMG endboards, which was just months after Border was bought out by Granada Media Group in July 2001 IIRC.

(26-03-2023, 07:27 PM)gottago Wrote:  As an aside I never understood why Border's idents during the hearts era were just a rather ugly italicised font without their logo. All the other Granada regions still featured their logos.
It was the same font Border had used on all their idents since the 1989 generic one. And yes, they weren't owned by Granada at the time.

The C3NE Tyne Tees endcap from 1996 with the words "TYNE TEES" and appeared on the 16th October 2022 airing of Catherine Cookson: Tilly Trotter on Drama is actually the one which features the warped figure "3"s in the background.

See here (at around 0:06): www.youtube.com 

And here's the Yorkshire one from 1996 as well: www.youtube.com 

I take it Yorkshire Television actually adopted the Channel 3 branding on 21st October 1996, which was a month after Tyne Tees Television became Channel 3 North East on 2nd September of that same year? Am i right?

EDIT: The 1989 ITV logo which appears on both the 1996 Tyne Tees and Yorkshire networked variants also appears to be a little vertically stretched as well.

(03-04-2023, 02:33 PM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  I take it Yorkshire Television actually adopted the Channel 3 branding on 21st October 1996, which was a month after Tyne Tees Television became Channel 3 North East on 2nd September of that same year? Am i right?

I can’t be sure of exact dates but the Channel 3 chevron idents on Yorkshire definitely launched a few weeks after Channel 3 North East. However Yorkshire started using the Channel 3 branded trails at the same time as C3NE.