American Channel promo

I Ask a question over in Paul O'grady thread about how they reused American network promo from the 90s to help promote his chat show on Channel 4.  It got me looking at the Big budget US network seasonal promos the American Networks made.   The only one that has even come close to this sytle was LWT in the 1980s.     ITV never come close to something like this, they have tried 3 times and it never really cut the mustered, they had

* ITV1: The Brighter Side: 2010:
*  Summer in 2012: theident.gallery 

*  2014 Where the entertiners live www.youtube.com 

What is rather depression is nine years later and its same people!!

Why didn't ITV try and "recreate" some of these promos for them itself?   Yes there over the top, and chessy at time but there do pack a punch and grab your attension, No wonder Paul O'Grady show team tried it.    What seems to be lacking over this side of the water is the Branding and making you channel Stand out, and more importantly being PROUD of your channel. To be fair the BBC has the same trouble. It feels like ameican station are more proud of there networks and want to shout it to the roof tops. I would love to see the BBC and ITV shout making the branding be seen.

ABC:
youtu.be 

CBS:
www.youtube.com 

NBC:
youtu.be 

Fox:
www.youtube.com 

Here is one from 2019, however it has something ITV still doen't have to this day , long standing jingle. 
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • ArthurVX

I'd go so far as to say the big three American networks have deeper pockets than ITV and the BBC so they can afford to spend more on flashy promotions. Of course they started in radio and built their TV networks by bring their radio stars over to the new visual medium, and now they have much more viewers, a larger market and generally charge more in the first plac.

Various rules over the years will have limited broadcasters over here the ability to make flashy promotions, a key one being restrictions in the number of hours you could actually broadcast in the first place (that and the fact ATV was losing so much money in its ITV London days to the point where it ultimately ran out of the stuff and Lew Grade had to flog anything and everything he owned to keep it going). I believe American networks were pretty much 24hrs from the 1950s onwards, but as I say they had deeper pockets. UK networks were restricted hours wise until somewhere around 1972, and 24hr wasn't a thing until the 1980s.

It is however a different culture over here compared to America TV wise. Its why we pretty much sucked at Product Placement for years compared to the US.

The American brands are of course much longer established, and have more iconic logos. The ABC logo hasn't changed much since the 60s, CBS's even older, all that changes is the font of their wordmark. NBC's modern version of the peacock dates from the 80s (though it's a simplified version of an older logo) and Fox's wordmark has been in it's current form since the early 90s, though the original version from the 80s wasn't drastically different. Compare to the UK networks - the current BBC logo only dates from a couple of years ago, though it's based on a logo from 1997. The logo is an evolution of ones they've used since the 60s though. The Channel 4 logo dates from 1982 when they launched, and ITV and Channel 5's logos are 10 and 7 years old respectively. Channel 4 is the only one whose logo and ident soundtrack are comparable to the US networks, as they're actually older than the Fox Network itself and NBC's current logo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Former Member 406

I remember very vaguely a BBC Christmas promo that featured many people that were on the BBC that Christmas, I think it was around 2010-12?

(01-04-2023, 01:33 PM)turbolazer Wrote:  I remember very vaguely a BBC Christmas promo that featured many people that were on the BBC that Christmas, I think it was around 2010-12?
Was that the 'Consider Yourself' campaign? That was 2011. 

www.youtube.com 

(01-04-2023, 01:36 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 01:33 PM)turbolazer Wrote:  I remember very vaguely a BBC Christmas promo that featured many people that were on the BBC that Christmas, I think it was around 2010-12?
Was that the 'Consider Yourself' campaign? That was 2011. 

www.youtube.com 

Yes! I hope something like that can be made at some point in the future
[-] The following 1 user Likes turbolazer's post:
  • Kojak

They cost a lot of money to make, scheduling the talent can be a nightmare for a relatively short lifespan. Hence why it's done sparingly (or with a strong marketing budget/campaign behind it). I don't even think America does it that often now compared to the 70s/80s/90's

(01-04-2023, 01:45 PM)turbolazer Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 01:36 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Was that the 'Consider Yourself' campaign? That was 2011. 

www.youtube.com 

Yes! I hope something like that can be made at some point in the future

Considering the BBC is currently talking about chopping 1k hours of original content due to having no money, its probably not a good idea to go and spend some of this apparently non-existent money on things like that because all that'll do is provide ammunition to be shot at with.

(01-04-2023, 04:58 PM)dbl Wrote:  They cost a lot of money to make, scheduling the talent can be a nightmare for a relatively short lifespan. Hence why it's done sparingly (or with a strong marketing budget/campaign behind it). I don't even think America does it that often now compared to the 70s/80s/90's

No they stopped doing those long season promos ages ago. But as a kid, those really long promos started airing usually when the new tv season started in September.  Back in the day, the new season kickoff was a huge event. Especially after a summer of repeats. All the new shows and season premieres would start on one night.  I cant remember if the networks would all start on the same night or not.... It was a big event for the network. So at the start of each night when it hits primetime, (8 EASTERN,
7 CENTRAL AND MOUNTAIN!) before the new shows would start, viewers would get a new campaign song and they would air those cheesy OTT nearly 2 minute long promos to kickoff the autumn television season. So the graphics and idents would be new and fresh each September. Television is vastly different now and network television isnt as popular or powerful as before.

(10-04-2023, 03:06 AM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 04:58 PM)dbl Wrote:  They cost a lot of money to make, scheduling the talent can be a nightmare for a relatively short lifespan. Hence why it's done sparingly (or with a strong marketing budget/campaign behind it). I don't even think America does it that often now compared to the 70s/80s/90's

No they stopped doing those long season promos ages ago. But as a kid, those really long promos started airing usually when the new tv season started in September.  Back in the day, the new season kickoff was a huge event. Especially after a summer of repeats. All the new shows and season premieres would start on one night.  I cant remember if the networks would all start on the same night or not.... It was a big event for the network. So at the start of each night when it hits primetime, (8 EASTERN,
7 CENTRAL AND MOUNTAIN!) before the new shows would start, viewers would get a new campaign song and they would air those cheesy OTT nearly 2 minute long promos to kickoff the autumn television season. So the graphics and idents would be new and fresh each September. Television is vastly different now and network television isnt has popular or power as before.
Do you remember, Mouseboy, the Brotherhood of Man thing NBC did for the Super Bowl about 10-11 years ago? I think that was the last big promo any of the networks did. Very cheesy but very well-executed, IMO.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • fanoftv