GOLD is 30

30 years ago today the first of the UKTV channels, GOLD was launched, originally it was a joint venture between the BBC, Cox Enterprises and outgoing ITV franchisee Thames Television, it launched at 7pm and the first programme was Just Good Friends
www.youtube.com 

30th Anniversary ident

theident.gallery 

And break bumper

theident.gallery 
Web Image

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 11 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • ATee, fanoftv, Happy2001, London Lite, Ma76, Milkshake, Roger Darthwell, TesTVWhirl, Transmission, TVFan, Underscore_

More from Gold's celebratory presentation:

theident.gallery 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Happy2001, London Lite, Milkshake, Roger Darthwell, Underscore_

All the ads and continuity from the first night courtesy of the ADC Collection

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

Is it not also the 25th anniversary of the UKTV network? Then again, it's barely recognisable nowadays!
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

The dog really was a nice touch to the early days of UK Gold.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • KyleToons, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

I have fond memories of the original UK GOLD. I remember building up a library of videotapes and been bemused by the station never starting on time.

(01-11-2022, 11:02 AM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  30 years ago today the first of the UKTV channels, GOLD was launched, originally it was a joint venture between the BBC, Cox Enterprises and outgoing ITV franchisee Thames Television, it launched at 7pm and the first programme was Just Good Friends
www.youtube.com 

That may be quite simply the most bizarre opening video I've ever seen! Doesn't really say much about the channel at all, and the whole thing has a whiff of Lambie-Nairn style European surrealism. Not the sort of thing you'd run to open a channel just showing old BBC shows.

Enjoyable though!
[-] The following 2 users Like LukeHarrison's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Transmission

Personally I loved the gold bar presentation of the mid 90s. It was bang on target with the worst being the awful transition from being a full service classic entertainment channel to becoming a comedy channel using the G.O.L.D. moniker as Go On Laugh Daily.

Calling the channel G-O-L-D was terrible, so was the announcements that used to say "made by the BBC, shown by G-O-L-D". Doubly so when it appeared before episodes of The New Statesman. Which was a Yorkshire TV/ITV show.