BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music are to leave Wogan House

Wogan House in London and Bridge House at MediaCity are to be vacated by the BBC - with Radio 2 and 6 Music moving to NBH, with 6 Music’s MediaCity team moving into the other two BBC buildings at MediaCity (Quay and Dock House)

twitter.com 

Presumably making use of the space on the 8th floor where Asian Network & Newsbeat will no longer be?
[-] The following 4 users Like Ash101's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, Ma76, UTVLifer

I can imagine hybrid working has seen much of the Media City office space unoccupied a fair amount of time so I expect the Bridge House closure is down to that rather than there being any reduction in what happens in Salford.

That was where I did my first proper TV work experience just after Media City opened!
[-] The following 4 users Like gottago's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, UTVLifer

The BBC Club is also, or at least was, based in Wogan House.

Wogan House was a very accessible spot for music & film celeb spotting as their cars would pull up directly outside the entrance.

I used to work nearby on Great Portland Street and regularly saw famous faces entering & leaving on the way to work and at lunchtime.

Indeed, before COVID-19 there were a few autograph hunting members of the public would hang outside the entrance all day.
[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, UTVLifer

Certainly the end of an era however I can see why they've come to that decision. Presumably less office space required than pre-pandemic.

Does anyone know the history of Wogan, formally Western, House? Was it built for the BBC as an expansion of Broadcasting House or was it offices they moved into at a later date?
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • chrisherald

Western house as it was …..
Was the home of BBC designs department from 1947
until they merged with BBC Equipmeht dept at Avenue House Chiswick in 1987
(Which the in 1993 Mergred with BBC  research at Kingswood  Warren )

Read about its history and achievements
www.bbceng.info 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • chrisherald

Maida Vale is closing, however, and moving to BBC East Bank in the Olympic Park:
www.burohappold.com 

(It's not their first attempt to build a new music centre - they had plans to build The Music Box on the White City / Media Centre / Broadcast Centre campus back in 2003, but it was quietly dropped and the land lay empty for the best part of two decades.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald

(02-11-2022, 11:37 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Western house as it was …..

www.bbceng.info 

On a loosely related note does the BBC still have offices on the first couple floors of the nearby hotel (think it's now called Treehouse Hotel)? I vaguely recall back in the early 90s staying in that hotel and the first couple floors were BBC offices, which weren't accessible in the hotel lifts.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-11-2022, 05:39 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 11:37 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Western house as it was …..

www.bbceng.info 

On a loosely related note does the BBC still have offices on the first couple floors of the nearby hotel (think it's now called Treehouse Hotel)?  I vaguely recall back in the early 90s staying in that hotel and the first couple floors were BBC offices, which weren't accessible in the hotel lifts.

I'm pretty sure they moved out of that building a few years ago. Vaguely remember it being part of the last set of BBC property cuts.

Well, for one thing, I'll save the duty newsreader having to run up and down flights of stairs every 30 minutes as it was in the pre-pandemic days