Freevee

Freevee is the old IMDb TV which Amazon have chucked a lot of money at for content, particularly after they rebranded it. (namely Judge Judy's knock off of her old show in new colours, and the revival of Neighbours).

London Lite Wrote:  I believe Prime Video is also supported by more devices than Freevee as well, which may have been part of the reason why they may be taking this course of action.

Even on the Amazon Firestick Freevee effectively redirects to the Prime app as a separate entity or category in that app.
can't comment on other devices but I wouldn't be surprised if other platforms are the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • London Lite

I seem to recall they said Freevee is used by Amazon in a number of markets where the Amazon brand is not particularly familiar to customers (as hard as that might be for us to believe!).

If they do end up merging, it would be much better to call the whole thing "Amazon TV".

I do think even Prime Video is quite a confusing proposition as "that thing from Amazon that's not called Amazon, it's called Prime Video but you don't need Amazon Prime to watch stuff on it, but even if you do have Prime you don't have free access to everything, and the price of the stuff you have to buy depends on what you want to watch, and on some apps you'll be sent an email redirecting you to the website to find out the price and make your purchase."

...And then you realise that some rentals cost £15.99 and give up.

Freevee is only in four countries - The US, the UK, Austria and Germany. Prime is pretty much available everywhere apart some smaller countries and places who have fallen out with everybody else...

Anyway Freevee is just Prime in different packaging. Eventually most of the acquired stuff juts floats between the two offerings anyway.

(21-02-2024, 10:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Freevee is only in four countries - The US, the UK, Austria and Germany. Prime is pretty much available everywhere apart some smaller countries and places who have fallen out with everybody else...
Ah, apologies. I thought I read something around the time of the Neighbours reboot where they said it was being pushed on Freevee because it would be rolled out further. Like most tech companies, I guess their 'strategic' plans changed and that didn't happen.

Well as I said earlier Frevee is the old IMDb TV which was originally only ever available in the US, then came to the UK before it became Freevee. I suspect the numbers don't quite add up ad wise to make it worth while expanding in those markets (plus of course Freevee is at least its third name in the US alone!)

Because Neighbours was quite popular in the UK (and of course because of that popularity and funding from the UK broadcasters was the only thing that kept it going), it makes logical sense to put that restarted show on Freevee.. which is available in the UK. Cross promotion and all... "while you're here for Neighbours, look at all this other stuff you have if you give us £95 a year for Prime!"

Yes it's actually a good shop window for them to highlight their premium content.

Something lacking from Netflix which doesn't appear to let you browse the content without having an active subscription.

(22-02-2024, 12:38 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Something lacking from Netflix which doesn't appear to let you browse the content without having an active subscription.
I think that's the case with most streaming services. I tend to use www.justwatch.com  for searching what's available on platforms, as we've got a few different streaming services active at present in our house.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • RhysJR

And talking of aggregating content Amazon of course has content from other suppliers as part of their "channels", so Freevee essentially exists on Prime in a similar manner.

I think AVODs are useful for content which isn't really that valuable so are sold cheaply like the Aussie dramas like McLeod's Daughters and older series like Mad Men