All4 to rebrand to Channel 4

(06-11-2022, 11:27 PM)SunburntRock89 Wrote:  It's still reasonably trivial to download stuff from iPlayer (using the aptly named get_iplayer). The max you can get is 720p though.

I really like iPlayer as a platform but find it hard to deal with the 720p maximum on pretty much all devices.
You can stream 4K content on about 4 devices and the BBC decides exactly which devices are allowed.

I bought a Fire Stick 4k expecting to be able to view stuff in 4k, turns out they had some sort of an issue with it which they blaimed Amazon for about 3 years ago. You still can't watch in 4k all these years later. The issue they described was super minor too.

Did some resarch with a friend and it appears they have specific certificates installed on every 4k compatible device to protect the streaming endpoints.

get_iplayer now allows you to download VOD content in 1080p. All but English regional news content, BBC Alba, Parliament and S4C is in full HD, while linear streams are still either 540p SD or 720p HD.

The current Fire TV Stick 4K models and the 2nd and 3rd generation Cubes will let you watch 4K HDR content where they have it on iPlayer. The 2nd Gen Cube is the only official Amazon device that is supported by the BBC for 1080p, although I understand the current sticks and the 3rd Gen Cube render the VOD content in Full HD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Ma76

(06-11-2022, 11:50 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(06-11-2022, 11:27 PM)SunburntRock89 Wrote:  It's still reasonably trivial to download stuff from iPlayer (using the aptly named get_iplayer). The max you can get is 720p though.

I really like iPlayer as a platform but find it hard to deal with the 720p maximum on pretty much all devices.
You can stream 4K content on about 4 devices and the BBC decides exactly which devices are allowed.

I bought a Fire Stick 4k expecting to be able to view stuff in 4k, turns out they had some sort of an issue with it which they blaimed Amazon for about 3 years ago. You still can't watch in 4k all these years later. The issue they described was super minor too.

Did some resarch with a friend and it appears they have specific certificates installed on every 4k compatible device to protect the streaming endpoints.

get_iplayer now allows you to download VOD content in 1080p.  All but English regional news content, BBC Alba, Parliament and S4C is in full HD, while linear streams are still either 540p SD or 720p HD.

The current Fire TV Stick 4K models and the 2nd and 3rd generation Cubes will let you watch 4K HDR content where they have it on iPlayer.    The 2nd Gen Cube is the only official Amazon device that is supported by the BBC for 1080p, although I understand the current sticks and the 3rd Gen Cube render the VOD content in Full HD.

Do we know why we can't get 1080p streams of the live channels? They all output in it. 

The Fire TV Stick 4K 1st gen (which was sold until at least December 2020) can't view UHD content, although I should've clarified that. www.bbc.co.uk 

It's happened. A quick Google search of all 4 has the main web page known as channel 4. Absolutely no mention of the name 'all4'. Logo is still there though. Everything else unchanged without modification. Guess the logo is staying then to differentiate the 2 services

www.google.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ckck1704's post:
  • Josh Griffin

(05-01-2023, 01:17 PM)ckck1704 Wrote:  It's happened. A quick Google search of all 4 has the main web page known as channel 4. Absolutely no mention of the name 'all4'. Logo is still there though. Everything else unchanged without modification. Guess the logo is staying then to differentiate the 2 services

www.google.com 
All4 has always used the domain "channel4.com", in fact, even ITVX uses "itv.com". Not sure what makes this special, plus a quick Google search revealed it's still called "All 4", even all4.com still redirects to channel4.com.
[-] The following 7 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisdafur, DeMarkay, London Lite, Ma76, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell

Just a question, but for anybody who watches the web version of All4, how many of you click the 'Watch More' or 'Restart Programme' button because they want to watch fullscreen? It seems All4 are the only service that has the fullscreen button top-right and not bottom-right.

The only thing that should be at the top is a DOG. All navigation stuff should be at the bottom. Maybe they'll change the interface to the standard everyone else is using when they rebrand.

IOS app has rebranded the app to Channel 4 this morning.
[-] The following 5 users Like Adam Till's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474, interestednovice, Rexogamer, thomalex, UTVLifer

Made me laugh!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 12 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • bakamann, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, IanJRedman, Kojak, paul_hadley, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, Spencer, Stuart, thomalex

Promos still saying "Channel 4 and All4".

The All4 app on my Fire Stick has appeared to have a slight graphics refresh. The All4 logo remains on the Firestick homepage and the app's homescreen has the same design, but the All4 logo in the top left corner has been replaced by the green Channel 4 logo seen on the iOS app icon.

In the 'Live TV' section, the Channel 4 channel logo is now the same light green as above. The other channels are the same colours as they are on my not-updated Android mobile app. On there the Channel 4 channel logo is just white. The emphasis colour (colour of the play buttons, the progress bar etc.) has been changed to the light green from the bright turquoise/green of before.