Newsbeat

I thought that the Asian Network has been always based in Birmingham

(04-11-2022, 05:44 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  I thought that the Asian Network has been always based in Birmingham

It does some shows from Birmingham but its main base at the moment is on the 8th floor of nbh next to radio 1 and 1extra
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Yes I thought it started with Radio Leicester and WM's medium wave outlets sharing programmes (hence the network name) with programmes coming from those locations. Then it went national when DAB launched, and for a while was carried on other stations MW transmitters and their own local programming for the Asian communities was branded as an Asian Network opt out.

I think it got bundled with Radio 1 in a cost cutting exercise to share a Controller in Ben Cooper's day.

It's quite amusing to think of a national radio station coming from end of life mk3 desks at Pebble Mill
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Toby brown

(03-11-2022, 10:44 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 09:26 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  No disrespect to Birmingham, but it's an odd decision to separate Newsbeat from both the rest of BBC News and Radio 1.

As ever with these moves, the BBC lost some good people like Christian Hewgill in the process.

It seems especially weird considering they’re moving Newsbeat to a building that the Beeb are leaving in four years. Surely they should just wait until the new Birmingham facility is ready, but then again this is the BBC that we’re talking about - the team that decided on Newsbeat’s move probably had no idea that The Mailbox was being vacated.

Four years is a long time so I suppose there's no harm in moving base now because they'll only have to move so far down the road when the new/old Typhoo facility opens.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Toby brown