BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present)

Is it me or does anyone else noticed that despite the two presentation pairs are supposed to be equal as in days, when it comes to conducting exclusive or major interviews/features, they are heavily skewed in favour of Jon and Sally at the front end of the week? In the first few weeks of this year alone, the Post Office Sub-Postmasters/mistresses, the families of the Nottingham stabbings, the mother of murdered transgender teenager Brianna Ghey and today, the announcement of the retirement of Dame Laura Kenny; all of these were conducted by either Sally or Jon.

Well had Laura Kenny announced her retirement later in the week I'm sure Naga and Charlie would have interviewed her.

I think TBH it's less about Jon and Sally and more about the news cycle leaning towards the beginning of the week. Shows tend to look to be lighter towards the weekend too.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bilky asko, House, Jayesyn

Just before 8.30am today there was a feature on film classification. It included an interview with the BBFC's president, Natasha Kaplinsky. Her time on Breakfast was brought up at the end of the section.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, dvboy, Rolling News

(19-03-2024, 09:17 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well had Laura Kenny announced her retirement later in the week I'm sure Naga and Charlie would have interviewed her.

I think TBH it's less about Jon and Sally and more about the news cycle leaning towards the beginning of the week. Shows tend to look to be lighter towards the weekend too.

How much of it is also potentially the presenter themselves having good contacts. Sally has fronted a few sports star led stories and maybe some of this is a good book of contacts developed over years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • Jeff

(19-03-2024, 08:38 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  How much of it is also potentially the presenter themselves having good contacts. Sally has fronted a few sports star led stories and maybe some of this is a good book of contacts developed over years.

Yeah Sally has fronted a number of sports stories which are cleared hers

(19-03-2024, 09:17 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well had Laura Kenny announced her retirement later in the week I'm sure Naga and Charlie would have interviewed her.

I read on here a while back that Charlie - for some reason - "prefers" to work Thursday to Saturday, despite him and Naga being "the senior presenters", as regards their longevity on the programme.

As you say, with the news cycle leaning towards the beginning of the week, if you were in Charlie or Naga's shoes, would you feel you were at a major disadvantage at the back end of the week, compared to Jon and Sally at the front end of the week?

(22-03-2024, 01:22 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  I read on here a while back that Charlie - for some reason - "prefers" to work Thursday to Saturday, despite him and Naga being "the senior presenters", as regards their longevity on the programme.

As you say, with the news cycle leaning towards the beginning of the week, if you were in Charlie or Naga's shoes, would you feel you were at a major disadvantage at the back end of the week, compared to Jon and Sally at the front end of the week?

Naga Munchetty does get the start of the week on Five Live, including the run-up to Prime Minister's Questions, which nicely meshes with the Breakfast role.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

Two more BBC Breakfast exclusives this week which were handled by those working at the start of the week; on Monday, Jon Kay hosted another special with former Post Office sub-postmasters gathered together to question an MP specifically appointed by Rishi Sunak to work on this case. And today, sports reporter John Watson had an interview with multiple Olympic champion Max Whitlock reveal to him that he will be retiring after the Paris Olympics this summer (Watson also had an exclusive interview with golfer Justin Rose yesterday, ahead of the Masters starting tomorrow).

If I were Mike Bushell, I'd be wondering why I don't get these kind of interviews? But then again, his sporting interviews would need him attempting to try something, but would end up with him looking stupid!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Stuart

(10-04-2024, 06:43 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  If I were Mike Bushell, I'd be wondering why I don't get these kind of interviews? But then again, his sporting interviews would need him attempting to try something, but would end up with him looking stupid!
I'm sure Mike Bushell is a capable sports reporter, but I've never particularly taken to him.

However, I was greatly amused when he fell into the deep area of a pool on BBC Breakfast.

www.youtube.com