Formula One

It looks amazing, and I know that 24 races just makes it impossible to stay on location for every race. It’s just not the same though, is it?

(21-03-2024, 05:22 PM)JK08 Wrote:  It looks amazing, and I know that 24 races just makes it impossible to stay on location for every race. It’s just not the same though, is it?
Of course it’s possible the F1 cars, drivers and teams do it, it’s just not worth the cost. And Sky won’t care that it’s not the same, no one is going to not subscribe because there isn’t onsite presentation for every race and if anything once Sky prove that theory they’ll probably be on site for even less races in future seasons.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie, Jeff

If Sky can handle studio coverage of that standard; I wonder how Channel 4 is going to manage that expectation with them being at their new studio which is reportedly situated at the F1 Arcade Experience in London. Would C4's setup be even better than Sky F1's setup in Osterley?

To be honest, i think that -if used well- the studio has more value than on-site presentation from the main anchors.
On Latin America -and i think Spain too- the commentators don`t travel around the world and they just have some reporters on site.

(21-03-2024, 06:24 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  If Sky can handle studio coverage of that standard; I wonder how Channel 4 is going to manage that expectation with them being at their new studio which is reportedly situated at the F1 Arcade Experience in London. Would C4's setup be even better than Sky F1's setup in Osterley?

Channel 4 will also be based in the UK this weekend. They won't be in their new base of the F1 Academy, but at the McLaren F1 HQ in Woking. So, this will likely not be a sign of things to come, more a similar concept to when they have previously been based at UK HQs such as here, Red Bull and Biggin Hill.

www.channel4.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990

(21-03-2024, 05:22 PM)JK08 Wrote:  It looks amazing, and I know that 24 races just makes it impossible to stay on location for every race. It’s just not the same though, is it?

Certinaly more impressive than bare bones ITV F1 studio days for flyaways (last one would have been 2006 Japan/China double header). 2008 Martin Brundle doubled up as presenter and co-comm on-site.

However, instead of needing lots of pundits... With Rachel, Ted and comms all on-site. Literally could have one more person as a pundit (along with Martin for some of the quali/pre-race show) along with Rachel who could present. She can do some interviews but they can take the F1 pen interviews too and just do Sky Pad bits back in London (Like they did for flyaways in 2012).

We didn't get bored with one pundit on the ITV days of an hour build up in the pit lane.

Studio looks really great. A fantastic use of the space.

However, once they've crewed another gallery (the studio based part is one gallery, feeding into the main Sky F1 gallery), rehearsed, and configured it, how much time and money does it actually save over sending 3 presenters to Australia?

(21-03-2024, 10:14 PM)southern_boy Wrote:  Studio looks really great. A fantastic use of the space.

However, once they've crewed another gallery (the studio based part is one gallery, feeding into the main Sky F1 gallery), rehearsed, and configured it, how much time and money does it actually save over sending 3 presenters to Australia?

Might not just be a cost cutting exercise, with 24 races this year, thats a long time for hosts/crew to be away from their family.

Is it confirmed the commentators are also UK based for these events?

(22-03-2024, 05:57 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is it confirmed the commentators are also UK based for these events?

Commentary is done from the circuit for Qualifying and the race. David Croft and Martin Brundle are in Melbourne though it was a hybrid format for practice with Rachel Brookes commentating on Practice 1 from Melbourne, Crofty commentating for Practice 2 from Melbourne but with Karun Chandhok commentating on both practice sessions from London.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TMD_24's post:
  • Brekkie