BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Has All 3 broadcasters started thier rehearsals for the up coming election? Of course if a May general election doesn';t happen will our first chance to see what we might get be the Council elections?

Now that Sunak himself has said his working assumption is that the election will be in the second half of this year, I imagine the broadcasters will continue developing their plans with that in mind, knowing that the GE likely won't be happening until October/November time

I would also assume that the broadcasters will be working up plans for if the UK and US elections are held very close together, potentially within a week of each other, if what George Osborne has recently said is to be believed.

www.theguardian.com 

BBC for the 1997 Election had rehearsals and the Set ready early 1996. The trouble so many dates have been suggested that its unclear if anything one date has better chance than the others

(15-01-2024, 06:36 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Now that Sunak himself has said his working assumption is that the election will be in the second half of this year, I imagine the broadcasters will continue developing their plans with that in mind, knowing that the GE likely won't be happening until October/November time

I would also assume that the broadcasters will be working up plans for if the UK and US elections are held very close together, potentially within a week of each other, if what George Osborne has recently said is to be believed.

www.theguardian.com 

I can tell you the broadcasters are definitely not planning for it to be in the autumn. They know they need to be ready for the spring.
[-] The following 6 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • Brekkie, chevron, Ma76, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

There was also an assumption that the party conference would be cancelled due to autumn election but it hasn’t happened yet….
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • UTVLifer

(15-01-2024, 08:15 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  There was also an assumption that the party conference would be cancelled due to autumn election but it hasn’t happened yet….

Can they still happen if an election is called in September? I know it not the right place per say but its kind of is as long as we don't go down the rabbit hole..

If an election is called for early November there has been alot of talk of it being overlapped with US election which could muddy our waters and talk away important airtime for out talking points.

I wonder if New SKY news breakfast set will also be used for SKY election programme.

(15-01-2024, 08:52 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Can they still happen if an election is called in September? I know it not the right place per say but its kind of is as long as we don't go down the rabbit hole..

If an election is called for early November there has been alot of talk of it being overlapped with US election which could muddy our waters and talk away important airtime for out talking points.

If they call an election in September, it'd probably be at the Tory party conference. What each party thereafter does in reaction to that is, I guess, up to them. There's no rule that you can't have a conference during an election period but it might not be seen as a great use of critical time - the Sheffield Rally sort of springs to mind although that wasn't a conference, it was widely viewed to be a bit of a PR failure.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • UTVLifer

From a pres point of view, the interesting thing about the BBC coverage is what happens to bulletins displaced from B due to election rehearsals. E back into service?
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Given the (As of 15th Jan) recent opinion poll, let's look back to the last time that the governing party was wiped out, when the 1997 election was called.
www.youtube.com 

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Michael Wotton

(15-01-2024, 08:52 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Can they still happen if an election is called in September? I know it not the right place per say but its kind of is as long as we don't go down the rabbit hole..

I wonder if New SKY news breakfast set will also be used for SKY election programme.

Yes but it was believed to host the conference and the election close together would take too many resources away from campaigning. I’m sure the broadcasters could manage it, but it was the Conservative party which suggested they might cancel the conference.