BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(07-02-2023, 10:47 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 10:24 PM)Jsnbts Wrote:  I did too! It felt ultra modern at the time..
Manchester tried something similar with their BBC radio station. That didn't work either, in any of their incarnations.   Confused
[Image: GMR.jpg]
(Source: Logopedia)

That's not really a fair comparison. GMR (Greater Manchester Radio) existed in the same era as GLR (Greater London Radio) and both are initialisms based on a logical name to describe the area they serve.

LDN was a stylised contraction of London and was an aimed at unifying different media channels under a single brand. It could have all been different as one plan was to name the newly created London TV regional news programme as 'London Live' which was already in use on radio and online.
[-] The following 3 users Like Isonstine's post:
  • chaose, London Lite, Stooky Bill

(07-02-2023, 10:47 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Manchester tried something similar with their BBC radio station. That didn't work either, in any of their incarnations.   Confused

I don't think that was ever called BBC MCR though...

(07-02-2023, 11:20 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 10:47 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Manchester tried something similar with their BBC radio station. That didn't work either, in any of their incarnations.   Confused
[Image: GMR.jpg]
(Source: Logopedia)

That's not really a fair comparison. GMR (Greater Manchester Radio) existed in the same era as GLR (Greater London Radio) and both are initialisms based on a logical name to describe the area they serve.

LDN was a stylised contraction of London and was an aimed at unifying different media channels under a single brand. It could have all been different as one plan was to name the newly created London TV regional news programme as 'London Live' which was already in use on radio and online.

I seem to remember seeing over on the Blue Place around 2005-2010 the Orange & Blue unused titles for "London Live" being uncovered or discovered in a "what could have been" thread.

If you want to see it search up the following
"BBC LONDON LIVE Opening Titles (2000-2002) CLEAN VERSION"
because if I post the link directly it will be removed by the mods as I think the YouTuber whose channel it is on is on the banned list and I don't want to have my post modified.

All I can say about the titles are thank goodness they weren't continued on with as they looked quite uninspired and somewhat (shrugs shoulders) meh as the smaller area of London didn't read well on screen, especially with the 'map' flying about.
But a more dynamic set of titles and an awesome theme tune came along with the branding to BBC LDN.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • Former Member 406

The confusing thing about 'LDN' was that it was visual branding only and the phrase was never spoken, but unsurprisingly misled many into believing it was actually the name of the programme when it wasn't - it was called 'BBC London News' from day one. Although the 'BBC LDN' logo was thankfully replaced with 'BBC LONDON' in 2004, it wasn't until 2019 that the programme title was officially changed to match the on-screen branding.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robert Williams's post:
  • Jsnbts

10788 V has just changed to 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ready for the West, South West and Channel Islands tests.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 3 users Like Nick Harvey's post:
  • ASnep, bkman1990, Spencer

(09-02-2023, 01:54 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  10788 V has just changed to 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ready for the West, South West and Channel Islands tests.

Plus tests for Red Button 1 and one of the non-BBC1 services on 10818 V, one of them will have to switch transponder again to make way for BBC1 London.

Will enjoy Spotlight tonight in HD for the first time ever (for me anyway)

fusionlad Wrote:Will enjoy Spotlight tonight in HD for the first time ever (for me anyway)
Same here.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick Harvey's post:
  • fusionlad

Or maybe not :-(
Mux off air for now

(08-02-2023, 09:30 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  The confusing thing about 'LDN' was that it was visual branding only and the phrase was never spoken, but unsurprisingly misled many into believing it was actually the name of the programme when it wasn't - it was called 'BBC London News' from day one. Although the 'BBC LDN' logo was thankfully replaced with 'BBC LONDON' in 2004, it wasn't until 2019 that the programme title was officially changed to match the on-screen branding.

Surely "LDN" is just a contracted spelling, not intended to be pronounced "ell-dee-enn" but still pronounced "London"? (Although I'm always tempted to pronounce it "Ludun"...)

In which case, the visual brand of that era should be verbalised as "BBC London". The fact that listings and verbal references also included the word "News" at the end of the programme name, which no logo since the service's inception has ever done, is nevertheless an inconsistency.

The fact that they eventually rationalised things so that even verbal & listings references ditched the "News" bit was a case of common sense (i.e. consistency) taking a long time to prevail.