BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

Of course, that's just a few weeks after BBC World was shown overnight on BBC One, the first many of us saw of the channel.

Very rare indeed, because that’s the first time I’ve seen the weather segment of the automatic breakfiller since I worked in world presentation. In fact I think that’s only a 30” break.

[-] The following 4 users Like Deejay's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, TVHead, Worzel

Some rare footage of the BBC News at Ten from TC7 in March 2008 while N6 was being updated for the April rebrand and the news channel moving in.

They were sharing the studio with Newsnight which used the other side of the studio straight after.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • W1ll

You wouldn't have really known much difference as both TC7 and N6 had similar set designs, just the desk was different in TC7 if I remember right?

(10-04-2024, 10:19 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  You wouldn't have really known much difference as both TC7 and N6 had similar set designs, just the desk was different in TC7 if I remember right?

I always thought N6 looked better on screen. I thought the lighting seemed a bit gloomy and the screens seemed more washed out in TC7, despite it being a superior ‘proper’ studio.

(10-04-2024, 10:19 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  You wouldn't have really known much difference as both TC7 and N6 had similar set designs, just the desk was different in TC7 if I remember right?

TC7 was also quite a lot bigger and taller.

(10-04-2024, 08:32 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I always thought N6 looked better on screen. I thought the lighting seemed a bit gloomy and the screens seemed more washed out in TC7, despite it being a superior ‘proper’ studio.
I think that's definitely the case after the refresh in N6 - replacing the lighting for the top panel with LED strips gave a much nicer, more solid red than the faded-out spotlight approach used in TC7 and originally in N6. TC7 never really suited news bulletins.

The thing with TC7 is that it was a fairly solid idea (to have base set that was supplemented by some programme-specific swing set elements and creative lighting) that was variably executed. Newsnight, Marr and Working Lunch tended to use the space better, but some others - Six, Breakfast - just plonked some furniture down, lit it starkly and called it a day, leaving it looking at bit like an empty news hanger.

In terms of the broad brushes, rather than overall specifications, the main differences would have been the use of Newsnight's ugly desk (although TC7 did have an N6-style desk available) and the floor colour (grey in N6, black in TC7). The only other immediately noticeable difference would be the top/ceiling lightbox, which was relatively much higher in TC7.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Spencer