BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(09-03-2023, 07:33 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 08:38 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Call me sad but it looks like this clip is from the same day, so we can date this incident to 30th October 2000.

www.youtube.com 

Sounds about right to me - I remember it happened very soon after the launch of Breakfast which had happened at the start of October. I seem to recall that Sarah Montague was phased out in favour of Sian Williams in early 2001.

'Phased out?

You and I agree on most things but Montague being 'Phased out' is something we will disagree on. 

Sarah was clearly being 'tested' on many things in that era Rob. She did Network, Newsnight, and much more. 

I'd say she'd found her mould by her own accord with the gig she's got right now. One of the most prominent women at the BBC.

(09-03-2023, 07:56 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 07:33 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Sounds about right to me - I remember it happened very soon after the launch of Breakfast which had happened at the start of October. I seem to recall that Sarah Montague was phased out in favour of Sian Williams in early 2001.

'Phased out?

You and I agree on most things but Montague being 'Phased out' is something we will disagree on. 

Sarah was clearly being 'tested' on many things in that era Rob. She did Network, Newsnight, and much more. 

I'd say she'd found her mould by her own accord with the gig she's got right now. One of the most prominent women at the BBC.

Sorry, Jonathan, I meant phased out on Breakfast, not other BBC outlets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • Newsroom

Don't remember this? Was 'The best of the Ten' really a thing?

youtu.be 

Here's an interesting curiosity - a documentary about how Parliament reacted to the outbreak of the Second World War:

www.youtube.com 

Presented by Shaun Ley... back when he had hair!
[-] The following 5 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Newsroom, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, Stuart, TVFan

BBC Parliament used to do quite a few of those kinds of fascinating esoteric documentaries, such a shame they can no longer do anything of the sort due to the severe cuts on the channel (particuarly considering how insignifcant the savings from Parliament have been). Absurd that they can't even do a daily or even weekly review of proceedings, or even reconfigure their network politics output to do something in that vein.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • Jeff, Kojak, Roger Darthwell, The Decimator

(21-03-2023, 12:27 AM)DTV Wrote:  BBC Parliament used to do quite a few of those kinds of fascinating esoteric documentaries, such a shame they can no longer do anything of the sort due to the severe cuts on the channel (particuarly considering how insignifcant the savings from Parliament have been). Absurd that they can't even do a daily or even weekly review of proceedings, or even reconfigure their network politics output to do something in that vein.

Not only that, BBC Parliament also used to air loads of archive BBC News programming, I remember a few years ago they were airing a series of programmes called Tebbit on Thatcher or something like that, and I saw a repeat of a BBC News bulletin reporting the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands, that was very interesting to watch!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • The Decimator

I think this (or similar!) was discussed very recently in another BBC thread - so apologies if I am treading old ground. I just came across this clip of the One from February 2002:

www.youtube.com 

What struck me was whilst there was no regional opt in the headlines, it looks like there was supposed to be one (see 0:19 in the video). Now, I would have thought nothing of this, were it not for some later intros where there were no regional opts at all:
www.youtube.com 

Yet an earlier intro (seen below) did have one:

www.youtube.com 

Basically, what I am asking is: was the regional headline dropped around 2002? Obviously it was restored later on as can be seen here:

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Newsroom

I think the regional headlines have just been edited out of those clips. The second clip with Huw was the first showing of the 2003 set and it definitely had regional headlines at that point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Phil's post:
  • Kojak

Does anyone remember back in the TVC 2008-2013 era, under what circumstances will they utilize this version of the WN closing titles? It seems after the move to NBH, this version of the WN closing is no longer used...
www.youtube.com 

Anyone know which studio this was?

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Worzel's post:
  • Newsroom, Quantum+83