BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

Thread discussing UK/international BBC News channel and programme presentation from the past.

Here are high quality versions of the 1999 BBC News 24 idents, including the full 90 second countdown

www.youtube.com 

BrandonH: Archiving Television Past and Present.

Here’s a HD version of some of Lambie Nairn’s finest work for the BBC. personally the Wales Today titles are my favourite

youtu.be 

First post.

In honour of the Commonwealth Games starting in Birmingham this week. Here is what BBC North West did twenty years ago when Manchester held them. A set of special gold themed titles that look quite snazzy if you ask me.

www.youtube.com 

My first post here.

Looking back, it’s quite shocking how dire the presentation of some of BBC World’s programmes was in the 2000s. I'm not exactly sure when the refurbished the second set in N9 with the semi-circle desk, but every programme I've seen presented from it just looks awkward. Below are some early examples of the different 'World News Today' programmes from the 'WNT-athon' era of the channel.

youtu.be  - George Alagiah's 12PM edition which would later become 'GMT' before being replaced by 'LIVE'

youtu.be  - Zeniab Badawi's 7PM edition seen in the UK on BBC4 of course. It never got rebranded, but hasn't aired since the pandemic

youtu.be  - Another 12PM edition, this time with Jonathan Charles and a completely different headlines bed.

Does anybody know if these beds were made specifically for these programmes by David Lowe? Or did the BBC just work with existing themes they had. The one used for George's edition sounds like two different beds put together.

(01-08-2022, 09:14 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  My first post here.

Looking back, it’s quite shocking how dire the presentation of some of BBC World’s programmes was in the 2000s. I'm not exactly sure when the refurbished the second set in N9 with the semi-circle desk, but every programme I've seen presented from it just looks awkward. Below are some early examples of the different 'World News Today' programmes from the 'WNT-athon' era of the channel.

youtu.be  - George Alagiah's 12PM edition which would later become 'GMT' before being replaced by 'LIVE'

youtu.be  - Zeniab Badawi's 7PM edition seen in the UK on BBC4 of course. It never got rebranded, but hasn't aired since the pandemic

youtu.be  - Another 12PM edition, this time with Jonathan Charles and a completely different headlines bed.

Does anybody know if these beds were made specifically for these programmes by David Lowe? Or did the BBC just work with existing themes they had. The one used for George's edition sounds like two different beds put together.

If I think rightly Lowe has done all main "core" BBC News beds at root since 1999 for all services and programme strands. Excluding the 2008 BBC Arabic ones, that was done by Dave "ITV News" Hewson.

That Alagiah one in particular sounds more like the standard headlines bed of BBC News 24 & BBC World - at that time - just with additional production in the form of added pips from the sound of it.

(01-08-2022, 09:14 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  youtu.be  - George Alagiah's 12PM edition which would later become 'GMT' before being replaced by 'LIVE'

That was a BBC edit using elements composed by David Lowe. It sounds to me like the main TOTH vamp mixed with the coming up vamp. That was tidied up shortly afterwards. David Lowe created some short loops and a thunderclap that the BBC then used to make the WNT vamp (that lasted until the May/June? 2007 WNT rebranding). One of the loops was also used to create the quarter heads vamp that was used on BBC World from 2007-08.

(01-08-2022, 09:14 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  youtu.be  - Zeniab Badawi's 7PM edition seen in the UK on BBC4 of course. It never got rebranded, but hasn't aired since the pandemic

I think those were David Lowe originals. The BBC4 version of WNT always had different music to the other versions.

The BBC actually edited quite a lot of Lowe's music between 1999 and 2008. For instance, the BBC World 2002 vamps weren't mixes by Lowe himself. He'd provided various elements, but the BBC did quite a lot of remixing of their own. I also remember Lowe didn't provide a closing vamp for the April 2007 BBC1 bulletins relaunch, so the BBC just chopped the thunderclap off themselves. In those days the music was presumably sent to the BBC on CD (or maybe DAT in the very early days) and I guess it was easier for the BBC to edit extra tracks themselves than to get Lowe to compose them and send them on CD again. Once file transfer became more of a possibility, more and more of the music used has been created by Lowe himself. I think it's fairly rare now for the BBC to edit tracks themselves, although I still think it happens on occasion.
[-] The following 2 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • AaronLancs, MFTJA

Far preferred the George Alagiah version of the three shown above.

Ahhh. World!

(04-08-2022, 02:46 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Far preferred the George Alagiah version of the three shown above.

Ahhh. World!

It was a great show. I’d love to see the return of a stranded programme with George once the two channels merge. A few programmes with well known faces in the UK; George, Huw, Sophie, Clive could potentially do well alongside ones presented by people more known around the globe.

(03-08-2022, 06:38 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  [quote="MFTJA" pid='235' dateline='1659384849']

That was a BBC edit using elements composed by David Lowe. It sounds to me like the main TOTH vamp mixed with the coming up vamp. That was tidied up shortly afterwards. David Lowe created some short loops and a thunderclap that the BBC then used to make the WNT vamp (that lasted until the May/June? 2007 WNT rebranding). One of the loops was also used to create the quarter heads vamp that was used on BBC World from 2007-08.

This almost formed the News Special closing theme as IIRC was used during the 2007 French Presidential Elections? Please correct me if I'm wrong Rob.