Sky Platform News

Yesterday is now available in HD on Sky:

rxtvinfo.com 

ADMIN: thread moved to Industry News and Technology forum (from TV Pres forum) and retitled.
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • gillw72, harshy, Ste

Sky has formally announced the launch of Sky Stream, effectively a standalone Glass puck:

www.skygroup.sky 

I'm guessing this may also be part of the reason why NOW (TV) stopped selling their own streaming devices, and focused on just the app.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Well at least homes who can't have Sky Q and want to use their own tv and an internet connection have two choices.

NOW: Available on the likes of Fire TV, Roku and YouView, in addition to tablets and phones using a PAYG membership strategy with a limited selection of popular entertainment channels, plus Sky Sports and Sky Cinema along with box sets and SvOD films.

Sky Stream: 30 day rolling contract or 18 month contract for a smaller price with a wider selection of streaming linear channels with add-ons for Sports and Cinema, along with box sets. Set-up fee applies. Channel selection is less than Q however. BBC One English regions, Channel 5 spin-offs and AMC owned channels such as Legend are in HD compared to Q. Sky provide a streaming box.

I'm quite interested in getting this new streaming box.... I really like Sky's look and feel.

How quickly do the channels change with this? Does anyone have the Sky Glass TV or Puck?

(27-09-2022, 04:48 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Well at least homes who can't have Sky Q and want to use their own tv and an internet connection have two choices.

NOW: Available on the likes of Fire TV, Roku and YouView, in addition to tablets and phones using a PAYG membership strategy with a limited selection of popular entertainment channels, plus Sky Sports and Sky Cinema along with box sets and SvOD films.

Sky Stream: 30 day rolling contract or 18 month contract for a smaller price with a wider selection of streaming linear channels with add-ons for Sports and Cinema, along with box sets.  Set-up fee applies.  Channel selection is less than Q however.    BBC One English regions, Channel 5 spin-offs and AMC owned channels such as Legend are in HD compared to Q.  Sky provide a streaming box.

Wait, AMC's channels are in HD? I knew about Channel 5's spin-offs being HD, I know 5Action, back when it was still called Paramount, had a HD feed but only Virgin customers could get it. 

Though the name of "Sky Stream" doesn't spike any revolution. BT Stream when?  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(27-09-2022, 06:20 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
(27-09-2022, 04:48 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Well at least homes who can't have Sky Q and want to use their own tv and an internet connection have two choices.

Sky Stream: 30 day rolling contract or 18 month contract for a smaller price with a wider selection of streaming linear channels with add-ons for Sports and Cinema, along with box sets.  Set-up fee applies.  Channel selection is less than Q however.    BBC One English regions, Channel 5 spin-offs and AMC owned channels such as Legend are in HD compared to Q.  Sky provide a streaming box.

Wait, AMC's channels are in HD? I knew about Channel 5's spin-offs being HD, I know 5Action, back when it was still called Paramount, had a HD feed but only Virgin customers could get it. 

Though the name of "Sky Stream" doesn't spike any revolution. BT Stream when?  Tongue

Apologies, I just double checked the Sky Glass channel list and it appears the AMC channels are in SD still. I thought the former CBS channels launched in HD at launch of Glass, but clearly not.

Channel 5 spin-off channels in HD seem to be exclusive to Glass/Stream.

(27-09-2022, 06:30 PM)London Lite Wrote:  

Apologies, I just double checked the Sky Glass channel list and it appears the AMC channels are in SD still.  I thought the former CBS channels launched in HD at launch of Glass, but clearly not.

I thought every channel on Sky Glass was HD?

(28-09-2022, 09:27 PM)Lester Wrote:  
(27-09-2022, 06:30 PM)London Lite Wrote:  

Apologies, I just double checked the Sky Glass channel list and it appears the AMC channels are in SD still.  I thought the former CBS channels launched in HD at launch of Glass, but clearly not.

I thought every channel on Sky Glass was HD?

No - any channels which have an HD version are provided as standard (including some which are exclusive to Glass), but there are still a large number of SD channels on the platform.

Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild, historical channels in Italy just as in the UK, shut down on the 1st of October; and UK can't be too far behind, since there are signs for it