Top of the Pops

(18-02-2024, 04:42 PM)Flux Wrote:  Out of interest, why is this specific GG performance so difficult to edit out?

I can't find the full episode on YouTube, but going by this, I'm guessing it's something to do with the segue in and out of the chart and there being no easy way to make a neat edit around it (even Friday's showing wasn't perfect, they seemed to imply Glitter was the only one in the chart to warrant an applause from the audience):

youtu.be 

Because it's between two chart countdowns, even with the edit BBC4 did, it's still quite messy, with applause abruptly cutting in and out and the music jumping. With a performance in the middle of the episode, you can usually edit it out a lot more neatly.

If they can repeat this episode now with such a jarring edit then why did they not do so in the original sequential run in 2017?

I can't quite believe how many times Roy Chubby Brown has appeared recently, but tonight's edition has a Chubby-less performance with the audience filling in for him. Can't help but think it sounds a touch dubbed though, and it begs the question... were the audience really trusted to not shout the F word during these performances? Surely they couldn't have gotten everyone the to behave, right?

Not really sure how anyone over the age of around 15 ever found the song funny anyway. Or Chubby himself in general.

Swearing is the only part of Roy Chubby Brown's act that would have been allowed on TOTP, so if it was his intention to appear on the show he was smart enough to know what would work. I guess in many ways the single tapped into the culture of the time.

I do wonder if they recorded a uncensored version for a possible late night repeat (that obviously never happened) - the late night repeats would start a year later.