Commonwealth Games 2022

This is what the studio looks like from outside. The windows are very tinted so you can barely see anything.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lester's post:
  • eyeTV, gillw72

I've got to congratulate their BBC on their VR set up on Sport, it really is impeccable. Until I read on here, I assumed as with most other recent huge events that they were in Salford. Hard to believe they are in Birmingham after the magic they showed us during the Beijing Olympics.

Truly outstanding.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • brioalex, thePineapple, The_IT_Technician, UTVLifer

The last day of a games always throws up some shift changes and today is no different as Jason and Holly have been on since 9am and are still going strong with just under an hour of live coverage left to go, presumably as Hazel will be commentating on the CC later with Andrew Cotter

All and all I think the BBC have done a wonderful job for these Commonwealth Games on every level, the studio, music and graphics have all been great, the presenting line-up has been top class as always, and it's been great having BBC Three back for the evenings (though obviously we won't have that for Paris 2024)

I think it’s been a strong games, both from the BBC’s point of view and the games itself. It was very difficult to spot empty seats at any of the events. Despite some skepticism by some beforehand it seems the games have been really embraced.

I think you could make an argument for them using BBC Two in the day for a second channel of coverage, arguably it makes more sense then doing so with Wimbledon as in this case they’d be offering a different sport at any given time.

I think this will be the last time they produce a full second programme for the Commonwealths on BBC Three. The coverage has been averaging sub-100k, it grows to a few hundred thousand for a few events but I don't think it's worth doing more than directing to red button and iPlayer if that's the most they can get during a home games.

Being from Birmingham, I think it has been a success both on and off the screen. I have never experienced the atmosphere in the city like this before. It has been nice having the BBC anchor in the city too and not from Salford. Birmingham is often sneered at by many, I am hoping that this starts a change to that. I mean even Jessica Ennis-Hill said last night that the Alexander Stadium "doesn't feel like it is in Birmingham". I am hoping that when BBC Birmingham moves to the new home in Digbeth it reignites the BBC presence here.
[-] The following 2 users Like J102B's post:
  • Lester, Rijowhi

(08-08-2022, 03:56 PM)gottago Wrote:  I think this will be the last time they produce a full second programme for the Commonwealths on BBC Three. The coverage has been averaging sub-100k, it grows to a few hundred thousand for a few events but I don't think it's worth doing more than directing to red button and iPlayer if that's the most they can get during a home games.
What have the ratings been like generally?

(08-08-2022, 04:52 PM)Jon Wrote:  What have the ratings been like generally?

Decent enough last night

twitter.com 

It’s been about that throughout, some nights about a million lower but overall a fairly decent set of ratings I think.

Adele Roberts from Radio 1 is going to be co-commentating on the CC tonight along with Hazel Irvine and Andrew Cotter