OFCOM COSTA: call for evidence, now with responses

(17-09-2023, 08:12 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Must be remembered there is no obligation to run ads at all if the broadcaster doesn't want to...

In fact they don't have to.

Just because they'll be probably able to show 12 mins of adverts per hour all the time like many channels already do, it doesn't mean they will.

Movies contain 10-11 mins per hour even on channels like Film4 and E4, nothing will make them too ad-heavy on Channel 4 with the limited breaks, and there are definitely some programmes with less advertising,  as on digital channels.

Potentially they will be able to run adverts in a more normal manner especially on the news and "daily", which is what broadcasters like.

It's even simpler for OFCOM too I guess, they don't have to check averages and make too many mathematic calculations, except for the average of 9 mins of advertising per hour as with all channels, which is anyway easily solved by showing less adverts at non-peak times and more teleshopping windows at let's say, 3am.

It's not that I support so much this new legislation, it's just that I realize it wouldn't be the end of the world, especially in this era, unless one doesn't want to be too picky.

(05-09-2023, 07:35 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Teleshopping is on top of any permitted ad allowance.

But Teleshopping at 12am and 1am exists mostly because (very likely) of broadcasters not being able to show normal advertising at these slots, mostly ITV1.

This law revision, although very late at that, could potentially solve this problem.

The PSBs can only show teleshopping after midnight.

(17-09-2023, 08:12 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Must be remembered there is no obligation to run ads at all if the broadcaster doesn't want to...

Of course, just like there being no requirement to show religious, regional or childrens programming doesn't mean that channels don't have to abandon them.

Looking at ad rules 9 minutes an hour on average (or 15% of airtime) and a max of 12 minutes an hour does seem to be pretty standard worldwide so arguably that would be the UK falling into line with many other countries.

OFCOM has decided not to change the rules
twitter.com 

Common sense prevails - although they have this consultation every couple of years and that is always the outcome.

That said the difference this time is ITV and C4 didn't argue for the status quo - previously consultations usually saw them argue that changes wouldn't see any noticeable boost in revenue and any money gained on their main channel would likely be lost by their digital channels.

Also suspect they just asked for too much - had they argued for an extra minute in primetime, bringing the primetime average in line with the digital average across the day at 9 minutes an hour, they may have got it - and I don't think viewers would notice that much at all in comparison to 12 minutes of ads every hour. It does seem though any compromise arrangement wasn't on the table.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, UTVLifer

The Media Bill might bring modifications though.

Personally I'd go for a 8 minutes for average throughout the broadcasting day up to 9 minutes per hour on average at peak time

(17-09-2023, 08:31 AM)Kunst Wrote:  But Teleshopping at 12am and 1am exists mostly because (very likely) of broadcasters not being able to show normal advertising at these slots, mostly ITV1.
And even if they could show 'normal advertising' they wouldn't get as much revenue from them as they do from selling the space to a teleshopping outfit

cleanfeed.thetvroom.com 

Interesting observations

As much as I didn't want the rules to be reviewed, I wonder if it's worth it for the future, to keep things exactly as they are

Have to wonder if the ad decision by OFCOM was a factor in the axing of Hollyoaks from C4 - don't know if broadcasters were tipped off ahead of the announcement but as ratings have fallen for Hollyoaks so have the number of ads - and the ad load in the 6pm hour is very light compared to what it used to be (when it was one of their higher rating primetime hours, with a young audience too!) As much as I didn't agree with the 50% increase if non-news content can't be supported by ads around the edge of primetime it's no surprise broadcasters may scale back on commissioning it.

I think it was a factor too in Neighbours being axed - although back in it's peak Home and Away always had full adds around it at 6pm as C5 grew stronger in other hours of primetime the ads disappeared, which ultimately means playing to a smaller audience on 5Star with ads (possibly still with two internal ad breaks) compared to no ads on C5 meant moving it makes sense. Then Neighbours went from a fully ad supported 5.30pm slot to limited or no ads around the 6pm airing, and was then deemed unprofitable.

Of course there are ways around this and I think ultimately a medium will be struck with probably an increase to 9 or 10 minutes an hour over primetime rather than 12 - which should protect both news content and non-news content within primetime too without being too detrimental to the viewing experience.

P.S. One thing I wish they'd addressed is the ridiculous kids channel anomoly of shows which are 30 minutes not being permitted a break, so broadcasters have extended them to 31 minutes instead. If anything that means kids are having to sit through more ads and promos around programmes which are 20-22 minutes long just to flesh out that extra minute.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Kunst

(22-09-2023, 11:41 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have to wonder if the ad decision by OFCOM was a factor in the axing of Hollyoaks from C4 - don't know if broadcasters were tipped off ahead of the announcement but as ratings have fallen for Hollyoaks so have the number of ads - and the ad load in the 6pm hour is very light compared to what it used to be (when it was one of their higher rating primetime hours, with a young audience too!)    As much as I didn't agree with the 50% increase if non-news content can't be supported by ads around the edge of primetime it's no surprise broadcasters may scale back on commissioning it.   

I think it was a factor too in Neighbours being axed - although back in it's peak Home and Away always had full adds around it at 6pm as C5 grew stronger in other hours of primetime the ads disappeared, which ultimately means playing to a smaller audience on 5Star with ads (possibly still with two internal ad breaks) compared to no ads on C5 meant moving it makes sense.  Then Neighbours went from a fully ad supported 5.30pm slot to limited or no ads around the 6pm airing, and was then deemed unprofitable.

Of course there are ways around this and I think ultimately a medium will be struck with probably an increase to 9 or 10 minutes an hour over primetime rather than 12 - which should protect both news content and non-news content within primetime too without being too detrimental to the viewing experience.

P.S.  One thing I wish they'd addressed is the ridiculous kids channel anomoly of shows which are 30 minutes not being permitted a break, so broadcasters have extended them to 31 minutes instead.    If anything that means kids are having to sit through more ads and promos around programmes which are 20-22 minutes long just to flesh out that extra minute.
Agree, that's why I was pro-relaxing the laws.

As for children's content, it's not so easy: don't forget kids channels are also shown in Ireland, which is in the EU, and so on