The Simpsons

According to our Australian friends, FOX8 (basically their version of Sky One) is losing the rights to The Simpsons at the end of this month:

bacco007 on Media Spy Wrote:Foxtel’s access to The Simpsons expires after December 31st - FOX8 are having a 25-day Simpsons marathon to celebrate

Coupled with the Seven Network losing the FTA rights, this means that after 32 years, it will be leaving linear TV in Australia completely - in the future, it will only be available there on Disney+.

I mention this because it makes me wonder how much longer Sky will hold the rights for. I believe Channel 4 have FTA rights for as long as the show is in production, but I don't know about Sky. I think for many people - certainly me - for many, many years, The Simpsons was Sky One. In fact, I remember there were rumours last year, when Sky One closed, that the reason behind it was that they knew they would eventually lose The Simpsons (and presumably wanted to ditch the Sky One brand as the two were so closely intertwined). So - interesting times ahead.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Ant, bkman1990, Happy2001, TVFan

If and when The Simpsons leaves Sky Showcase, it'll be the end of an era. For many years, the show was the hook to grab customers to pay to watch new episodes. (The Simpsons and The X Files were the reason we got Sky installed in the 90s).

However times have changed and it's so much easier to pay Disney+ £7.99pm to watch the whole back catalogue online or watch the 6pm slot on Channel 4.

In my opinion, Disney+ is now the best way to watch the show. Sky Showcase crop all of the classic episodes to 16:9 and Channel 4 are abysmal with their cutting at times. (Yes sometimes they air heavily censored episodes uncut but usually in the wee night on Channel 4 or 4seven) Disney+ now have all of the back catalogue (barring the banned Stark Raving Dad), pretty much uncut and in 4:3.

(07-12-2022, 10:32 AM)CCFG Wrote:  In my opinion, Disney+ is now the best way to watch the show. Sky Showcase crop all of the classic episodes to 16:9 and Channel 4 are abysmal with their cutting at times. (Yes sometimes they air heavily censored episodes uncut but usually in the wee night on Channel 4 or 4seven) Disney+ now have all of the back catalogue (barring the banned Stark Raving Dad), pretty much uncut and in 4:3.
More recently, Sky have started showing some episodes in 4:3 again, but they’re still remastered like on Disney+ (at the moment, Season 13 is being shown in this format). Unfortunately, other episodes are still being cropped.

(07-12-2022, 10:32 AM)CCFG Wrote:  In my opinion, Disney+ is now the best way to watch the show. Sky Showcase crop all of the classic episodes to 16:9 and Channel 4 are abysmal with their cutting at times. (Yes sometimes they air heavily censored episodes uncut but usually in the wee night on Channel 4 or 4seven) Disney+ now have all of the back catalogue (barring the banned Stark Raving Dad), pretty much uncut and in 4:3.
That's not Channel 4's only problem. They never advertise when the new episodes are on (they just aired season 30, and I only found out on the last week), and All4 only has seven day catch-up.

(06-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I mention this because it makes me wonder how much longer Sky will hold the rights for. I believe Channel 4 have FTA rights for as long as the show is in production, but I don't know about Sky.
Channel 4 should have it for as long as it's in production plus four years, you'd think? They only just aired season 30, and the current season in the US is season 34.

(06-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  According to our Australian friends, FOX8 (basically their version of Sky One) is losing the rights to The Simpsons at the end of this month:

bacco007 on Media Spy Wrote:Foxtel’s access to The Simpsons expires after December 31st - FOX8 are having a 25-day Simpsons marathon to celebrate

Coupled with the Seven Network losing the FTA rights,
Hold up, if you read further down, apparently the 2023 Upfronts for Seven Network mentioned Simpsons and the other cartoons FOX8 are losing. It seems they're staying on FTA.
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, Kojak

I believe The Simpsons only switched to Seven not that long ago, I believe the rights switched not long after Network Ten went bankrupt a few years ago. I don’t believe the show is on Seven itself and is on one of the spin offs, 7Flix I think?

I actually haven't seen a cropped 16:9 version on sky for quite a while, though admittedly I don't watch on there that often, though when I do it's been the 4:3 version, even when it's been an episode they've shown cropped in the past.

(07-12-2022, 01:37 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(06-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  According to our Australian friends, FOX8 (basically their version of Sky One) is losing the rights to The Simpsons at the end of this month:

Coupled with the Seven Network losing the FTA rights,
Hold up, if you read further down, apparently the 2023 Upfronts for Seven Network mentioned Simpsons and the other cartoons FOX8 are losing. It seems they're staying on FTA.
Oh, right. I do know that they no longer have the first run of new episodes - they are on Disney+. It must just be repeat rights that Channel Seven are keeping. I expect they’ll be gone too once the contract is up.

(07-12-2022, 01:50 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  I believe The Simpsons only switched to Seven not that long ago, I believe the rights switched not long after Network Ten went bankrupt a few years ago. I don’t believe the show is on Seven itself and is on one of the spin offs, 7Flix I think?
The thread linked in the first post does mention 7Flix, yeah.

Network 10 went bust? That doesn't sound right - they're owned by Paramount (formerly ViacomCBS) - like our Channel 5.