Victor Lewis-Smith, writer and broadcaster, dies at 65

Quote:The satirist Victor Lewis-Smith who compiled the Funny Old World column in Private Eye for almost 30 years has died aged 65 after a short illness.

Mark Borkowski, the publicist and Lewis-Smith’s agent who announced the news of his death in Bruges at the weekend, tweeted: “I am in deep shock … Struggling to come to terms with the loss of a unique and irreplaceable talent.”

Lewis-Smith starred in TV comedy sketch series, including Inside Victor Lewis-Smith on BBC2 in the 1990s, and was known for making hoax calls.

www.theguardian.com 

Only 65 years old? Blimey......may he RIP, I loved his TV series TV Offal after I stumbled upon it online

It does sound like he was a bit tough to work with, but can't deny how funny TV Offal was and that was years before Screenwipe. I enjoyed some of the documentaries he made in the last few years on the likes of Peter Cook and Tony Hancock.

Shut up, grammatic oil.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

This is a shock. TV Offal was the foundation for Charlie Brooker to satirise tv and Funny Old World is still an excellent read.

Dumbfounded. He was a master of the P**s take and created the hilarious "gay Daleks" skit. RIP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

He clearly shared our interest in TV presentation.

He bought the rights to the name, Associated Rediffusion, which he used for his own programme company. TV idents also often appeared in his programmes. I remember well this feature from BBC2’s TV Hell Night.

twitter.com 

Incidentally, does anyone know the origin of the ‘BBC END’ slide at the end? It looks authentic, unlike the mocked Modern Pig Farmer Today. I’ve always wondered where it came from.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • DE88, Kojak

Looks like it could have been from the end of a film reel of some sort, probably not intended for broadcast.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, Spencer

Clips of his Radio 1 show from 1990.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • DE88, Roger Darthwell, Steve in Pudsey

Basically telling you that if you complain then they'll use your complaint on the show and mock you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

AR made a fascinating documentary in 1999 called "Scandal In The Bins" which Lewis-Smith narrated about a man called Benjamin Pell who raided the rubbish of PR firms, lawyers etc and sold the information to newspapers and made a fortune. Sadly only 1 part of the video is available on YouTube.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Scratch_Perry