Use of 4:3

The documentary, The Disappearance of April Jones, currently showing on Channel 4, is being broadcast in 4:3 with black bars at either side of the screen.

It would appear to be a stylistic choice by the makers of the programme rather than a transmission error, as the framing doesn’t look cropped.

I can only presume they think it focuses the attention on the talking heads featured and adds a certain extra intensity. I think it was discussed on TVLF the increasing number of adverts using 4:3 for stylistic reasons, but it’s the first time I’ve seen a return to 4:3 programme making since everything went widescreen in the late 90s/early 00s.

I’m not sure I’m a fan though. It feels these days that it’s a rarity, outside live programming, for the picture to fill my TV screen anymore.

Pillarboxing is quite common these days, because IIRC the HD spec requires a 16:9 resolution. So if you need to use 4:3 it has to be pillarboxed.

That being said I've just had a quick look on All4 and the credits are slightly to the left of where the picture ends on the content. Which suggests its a deliberate production method. Although it is labelled as HD.

It's usually the same on shows that are wider than 16:9, they're still 16:9 on the master tape, with the letterboxing part of the picture. Will presumably be the same here- still a 16:9 master, just with black bars baked in. No different really to how music videos and adverts were done in 4:3 with faux-letterbox effects up until the 16:9 era.

Watching The Santa Clauses on Disney+, whenever there's a clip from the original film, the picture opens up from 2.35:1 to 16:9, which shows that the letterboxing is an effect rather than the show being mastered in 2.35:1.

(12-12-2022, 11:25 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Pillarboxing is quite common these days, because IIRC the HD spec requires a 16:9 resolution.  So if you need to use 4:3 it has to be pillarboxed.

And for archive 4:3 programming, I’m sure most of us welcome this. It’s much better than cropping or stretching.

But I’m not convinced making new programmes in 4:3 when almost everyone now has a 16:9 TV is a great idea.

(13-12-2022, 11:09 AM)Spencer Wrote:  
(12-12-2022, 11:25 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Pillarboxing is quite common these days, because IIRC the HD spec requires a 16:9 resolution.  So if you need to use 4:3 it has to be pillarboxed.

And for archive 4:3 programming, I’m sure most of us welcome this. It’s much better than cropping or stretching.

But I’m not convinced making new programmes in 4:3 when almost everyone now has a 16:9 TV is a great idea.

I'm sure its not a permanent thing. It's probably just a one off.
4:3 does favour, as you said, a more intensive approach so its probably been done for effect.