Top Gear

In the recent Grand Tours there were certain moments that were memorable or made me laugh - but the whole episode would usually be forgettable or not interesting enough for me to want to see again. The specials worked because they were something different to the regular format, changing to that format permanently just made it feel very repetitive - same thing, just a different location.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • JMT1985

(01-12-2023, 12:28 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  In the recent Grand Tours there were certain moments that were memorable or made me laugh - but the whole episode would usually be forgettable or not interesting enough for me to want to see again. The specials worked because they were something different to the regular format, changing to that format permanently just made it feel very repetitive - same thing, just a different location.

It was always going to be a three year deal initially for three seasons, with an option for more - however after three seasons Amazon looked at the cost and probably were happy to end the studio based shows. 

Remember in Season 1 they moved their studio tent around the world, costing them a fortune - and then from Season 2 they settled into a studio at Jeremy's home in the Cotswolds another massive amount of money to build and kit out. 

I feel Amazon threw a tonne of cash at them initially and then regretted it by Season 3 when they looked at ratings and how many new subscribers they attracted, hence why the specials format was created.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • UTVLifer

It’s worth noting that this afternoon Dave are showing Top Gear from the first episode (2002), so there’s no James May and there’s the original Stig. Dave haven’t shown the very old episodes for a long time now, the oldest they’ve gone back in recent years is to about 2006.
[-] The following 9 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, Happy2001, lookoutwales, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, TVFan, WillPS, Yorksman

I'm not sure if they've ever shown the first series before either, only going back to series 2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

IPlayer have had every series available too for a while

I can’t actually think of many other shows that have such an archive available on there (excluding sitcoms and the like)
[-] The following 5 users Like Johnr's post:
  • AndrewP, Happy2001, lookoutwales, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(15-01-2024, 11:21 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  It’s worth noting that this afternoon Dave are showing Top Gear from the first episode (2002), so there’s no James May and there’s the original Stig. Dave haven’t shown the very old episodes for a long time now, the oldest they’ve gone back in recent years is to about 2006.

That's unusual particularly as the first series was a bit more factual than what came afterwards, can't imagine a lot of the buying advice is relevant now!

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Dave still edits the show right? Top Gear has always been edited to fit a commercial one hour slot, meaning around 15 minutes of content is axed, usually the news segment, which used to feature the best comedy in the show.

Top Gear editing on Dave has always been choppy - maybe they should just air the shows in a new slot which can accommodate the full episode and commercials.

Dave does show the Top Gear Christmas specials and other feature length specials in it's full form.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Ma76

(15-01-2024, 11:23 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm not sure if they've ever shown the first series before either, only going back to series 2.

I do remember watching it once and thinking who is this bloke? (Jason Dawe). It must have been in very early days of Dave, as I didn't get UK G2, and I stopped watching the repeats around 2010.

(16-01-2024, 08:20 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  I do remember watching it once and thinking who is this bloke? (Jason Dawe). It must have been in very early days of Dave, as I didn't get UK G2, and I stopped watching the repeats around 2010.

Yeah, they never bothered with the first few series of Top Gear, always seemed like series 4 onwards (when the trio started finding their rhythm).

Makes me wonder how Top Gear would’ve panned out with Dawe instead of May. Can’t see his used car segments fitting in well with Clarkson and Hammond playing car rugby and Supermarket Sweep or looking for a Nintendo DS in the Middle East.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F4C's post:
  • Roger Darthwell