Top Gear

(05-04-2024, 02:28 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Reports that The Grand Tour will continue without Hammond, Clarkson and May. Studio Lambert will take over as the production company and a new set of hists will be used.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

Haven't they not seen what happened to Top Gear in 2015 when the BBC did the same? Didn't exactly work wonders for them. Why do people ignore history?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(05-04-2024, 05:46 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Haven't they not seen what happened to Top Gear in 2015 when the BBC did the same? Didn't exactly work wonders for them. Why do people ignore history?

Well it did, eventually. It took a few goes to get right, but it was doing pretty well until it was paused in unfortunate circumstances.
[-] The following 1 user Likes iloveTV1's post:
  • Happy2001

(05-04-2024, 05:46 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Haven't they not seen what happened to Top Gear in 2015 when the BBC did the same? Didn't exactly work wonders for them. Why do people ignore history?

Unlike Top Gear, TVZone’s article implies this has the approval of Clarkson, Hammond and May (probably Wilman also). I think as the whole Meghan Markle issue has blown over, I get the feeling now it was the hosts who called it a day rather than Amazon. If they did intend to cut their ties with Jeremy they wouldn’t have recommissioned Clarkson’s Farm again.

Let’s not forget Top Gear was one of the biggest shows on TV when it changed presenters first time round and there was intense pressure and huge scrutiny. It took the third attempt to get Top Gear right after 2015. Even then, it wasn’t anywhere near its former self. Chris Harris was probably best host to come out of this era.

This time, I don’t think whoever succeeds hosting The Grand Tour won’t be under as much pressure.

I still enjoy watching Clarkson, Hammond and May on TV as they work excellently on screen together. And I hope they work together again at some point. However, nothing lasts forever and 2/3 of them are in their 60s now, along with Andy Wilman.
[-] The following 5 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Happy2001, IanJRedman, UTVLifer

(05-04-2024, 07:35 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Well it did, eventually. It took a few goes to get right, but it was doing pretty well until it was paused in unfortunate circumstances.

It lasted six more years, longer than many shows run, and probably would have run for many more years except for the circumstances. Maybe it will be back at some point, but for now, there’s an opportunity for a reworked Grand Tour (which after all, is little more than a serial-numbers-filed-off version of 2002-15 Top Gear itself) to fill the gap.

It had a rocky start, but it was a good show in its own right. At least Amazon won't hire Chris Evans

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • UTVLifer

Paddy McGuinness has said on RTÉ's Late Late Show tonight that Top Gear will eventually make it's return to the BBC.

However no date has been set on it's return yet.

He also said to Patrick Kielty in studio that 'Freddie Flintoff is doing well, He is doing well; Bless him'.

I didn’t see the interview in question but was he really saying there are definitive plans to bring the show back? Surely that would be all over the media? Perhaps it was more along the lines of “It’ll be back some day when the time is right, I have no doubt”?

Very brief bit near the end of the interview. "It will come back, they've not released a date yet, but it will come back". This suggests to me that Paddy is under the impression it will come back at some point with him still involved?

youtu.be 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Rdd

Dickey Betts of Jessica fame has passed away

www.bbc.co.uk 

Here is an interesting video on how Christian Henson arranged his version

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnr's post:
  • RhysJR