Top Gear

Can't find a Top Gear thread, Freddie Flintoff has had an accident, hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery.

www.bbc.co.uk 

This gave me a bit of a start when they announced it on the news. Reading between the lines, (hopefully) it doesn't sound like an extremely serious incident - serious enough to warrant going to hospital of course. I'm a little surprised this sort of thing hasn't occurred on Top Gear more often.

There was a bit of uncertainty a couple of months ago about the future of the next series of Top Gear after Freddie’s accident, but given Paddy’s Instagram post here, it looks like they’ve resumed filming Top Gear. Whether Freddie has returned remains unclear.

www.instagram.com =

Just in:
twitter.com 

Feels like the show is going to be expected to pay out a massive compensation claim or something.

Leaves a hole in the BBC Sunday schedule this summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

www.bbc.co.uk 

This is all rather odd. The implication seems to be that the next series is cancelled, but not necessarily the show as a whole. I do wonder if Freddie is unhappy, or doesn't wish to return, which might help to explain this decision?

Edit - just seen The Times is reporting that Flintoff has, indeed, quit. Not yet officially confirmed.

The way Sky headline it on their news alert you would assume the investigation brought up something that caused it to be canceled and the BBC statement does say they apologised to Freddie 

It feels like a newspaper was ready to report something and BBC got in first going by it being announced at 10pm. BBC statements nearly always come in daytime hours.

I still find it a little curious that we still don't actually know what happened to him. Wasn't it established fairly quickly what happened to Richard Hammond after his crash? And without being too morbid, there was a lot of concern over whether Hammond would survive that doesn't appear to exist around Flintoff's accident, so I find it a bit odd that things are still pretty hush hush.

It sounds like a very upsetting case. And a very sad way for Freddie to leave the show if that is true.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • UTVLifer

(23-03-2023, 11:46 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I still find it a little curious that we still don't actually know what happened to him. Wasn't it established fairly quickly what happened to Richard Hammond after his crash? And without being too morbid, there was a lot of concern over whether Hammond would survive that doesn't appear to exist around Flintoff's accident, so I find it a bit odd that things are still pretty hush hush.

The broad details made it to the tabloids a while ago. Allegedly a three-wheel, open-topped vehicle flipped over (not at high speed), with Flintoff suffering facial injuries and broken ribs.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, UTVLifer